Proper placement of filter input/output on 75g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I have a 75g that is in the process of cyling now. I'm hoping the cycle will be complete in the next week and have a question regarding the placement of the input/output of the filter.

I have a Fluval 304. Currently, I have the input in the back left corner and the output slightly to the right of center, pointing towards the front left corner. It seems like I'm getting good circulation the way it is now, but wanted to check with those more experienced as to the proper way to place them.

The tank will be fully stocked (as per AQadvisor) and I just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can for my fish. I know the filter is a little on the low side for this tank...

Also, the way the output is mounted now, it would be underwater when the tank is full. (water level is slightly lowered now to increase agitation for the cycle.) With that being said, if my output is underwater when full and stocked, will there be sufficient air in the water? Should I get an air stone? I don't want to see half my tank gasping for air 2 days later :)

It's also lightly planted and I may be adding more plants in the near future.

I like my input & output at opposite ends of the tank. So my input is at the left real, & the output is right rear, pointing diagonally to the left front. The trick is simply to have no dead spots in the tank. It is simple enough to put something light into the tank at different spots & see how it moves. <Someone here once suggest putting some small plastic toy beads into the tank & watch the movement.> In my case, I have bunches of hornwort in the bottom. If the hornwort waves around in the tank, that area has good flow.

I have my output underwater as well (less noise). You can adjust the depth of your spraybar/nozzle (and its orientation) to get good surface movement. If you get good surface movement, you don't need an airstone. <PS - I don't change the water level to adjust the amount of agitation ... I put a sponge under my output "hook" to raise or lower the nozzle to get just the amount of water movement I want.>

Back
Top Bottom