Prophylactic medication of quarantine tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When you quarantine newly acquired fish, do you give prophylactic medications like antiparasitic medication? Why or why not?

I think the correct answer should be yes, because fish can look healthy while being carriers of parasite eggs or larva, which may infect your main tank if not prophylactically eradicated. Any thoughts?

I've used seachem paraguard in my qt's.. Seemed like a logical coarse.. Fish didn't seem to mind it on their water..

IME, it would depend greatly on where the fish come from. I buy mine from an importer that does a proactive treatment when he gets them and there is no need in my end to do so. Simply QT for 6 weeks and if anything changes, treat accordingly. Fortunately, I've never had to treat any of them.

Seachem tech support recommends paraguard 1 hour dip (higher dose mix) then a few weeks of metronidazole. Seems reasonable. Metronidazole is not easily overdosable and generic meds are relatively inexpensive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't do anything antibiotic, for the same reason we don't for humans: we have learned that gut bacteria are critical to overall health and that whether one gets sick has to do largely with overall health and a little bit with the presence of a pathogen. Frequently a bad bacteria or fungus is always present, but only causes illness when other good bacteria that controlled it die off. Or if there's a weakened immune system.

Seachem tech support recommends paraguard 1 hour dip (higher dose mix) then a few weeks of metronidazole. Seems reasonable. Metronidazole is not easily overdosable and generic meds are relatively inexpensive.

Metro is actually very easy to overdose and I am actually surprised Seachem would recommend "a few weeks of metro". Their own metro product has specific directions to only dose three times maximum, I believe. Granted, this dosing schedule I do not agree with as it will not be effective and may create more issues when used improperly.

Its important to point out that metro functions as a gram positive antibiotic (as well as having very specific deworming capacities) and that misuse and/or abuse of antibiotics is flagrant issue within the aquatic (and medical) industry. Many common antibiotics and other meds are no longer effective due to the intentional (and unintentional) abuse that has resulted in resistant and stronger bugs. The use of any med needs to be given strong consideration to its necessity as well as the pros and cons of what is expected to be accomplished with its proper use.

All of this said, I do quarantine any new fish for four to six weeks minimum (up to three months) and every new fish is treated with a full course of praziquantel. Flukes in goldfish is an epidemic problem and I have yet to purchase a fish from ANY source (private or public) that did not scrape positive for flukes so I do not take chances with the healthy fish I already own. :)

I think seachem recommended metronidaloze for its effect on some parasites like hexamita which is not easy to eradicate by any other means. I believe this parasite affects mostly cichlids but can be carried by seemingly healthy noncichlids which can then infect cichlids in the community tank.

Metro is actually very easy to overdose and I am actually surprised Seachem would recommend "a few weeks of metro". Their own metro product has specific directions to only dose three times maximum, I believe. Granted, this dosing schedule I do not agree with as it will not be effective and may create more issues when used improperly.

Its important to point out that metro functions as a gram positive antibiotic (as well as having very specific deworming capacities) and that misuse and/or abuse of antibiotics is flagrant issue within the aquatic (and medical) industry. Many common antibiotics and other meds are no longer effective due to the intentional (and unintentional) abuse that has resulted in resistant and stronger bugs. The use of any med needs to be given strong consideration to its necessity as well as the pros and cons of what is expected to be accomplished with its proper use.

All of this said, I do quarantine any new fish for four to six weeks minimum (up to three months) and every new fish is treated with a full course of praziquantel. Flukes in goldfish is an epidemic problem and I have yet to purchase a fish from ANY source (private or public) that did not scrape positive for flukes so I do not take chances with the healthy fish I already own. :)

Now that's smart medication use!!

I think it's pretty amazing to find fish owners who research the species so thoroughly and understand the chemicals fully before employing them (maybe one day I'll be one)!

I totally agree here !!! And I'll also go on to say that my QT is well along the lines of jlk. Minimum of 6 weeks if not longer. As well, my QT is a bb with multiple, daily WC's, and no decos. Also, I only buy my babies from trusted sources and don't mix tanks from different suppliers. In other words, my display tanks are separated. Asians with Asians, Germans with Germans, etc. and ALL tanks have multiple WC's with no carbon in the filters. IMO/E, the only thing carbon is good for is to eradicate meds that were used. And a good many experienced folks will follow and attest to that.

A side topic perhaps but I don't mind carbon - don't really have a problem if someone wants to use it.

The cost is a niggle but mainly I find the small pellet size that we get here a pain. Much better when it used to be more chunky.

Where is the best place to get praziquantel in the USA?

Where is the best place to get praziquantel in the USA?

For someone new to prazi, the best product to use is Hikari's Prazipro which is sold on any online aquatics store or Amazon/Ebay. Some speciality lfs will carry it as well. Its a liquid which is easy to use and dose. Powdered prazi is sold by variety of online stores but it does not dissolve in water and needs to be carefully weighed for an exact dose (making things a bit trickier).

Back
Top Bottom