Pros & Cons of Sand Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The babies are there siva... you just don't see them.

I've heard people say over and over again how sand can cause gas pockets... I've yet to have one single issue with mine, or hear of anyone else having this happen. Sure, if you have 6" of sand... Maybe with some of the finer stuff, but seriously, PFS is large enough that I don't ever see that happening if you have a reasonable depth. I have ~2" of PFS in my 40b and 150g. I have ~2" of dirt and ~1" of PFS in my 125g. In my 40b and 150g, I can see light through the pfs. If I can see light, that means that the grains are big enough to allow any gas to escape.

Thanks for the info Meegosh. Guess I better have my magnifying glass with me and try to look at a sample of the PFS I'm planning on buying. The larger grain size is an important part of why I'm looking at it, since my Moors are always foraging.

Yes, I have a planted tank and the gravel isn't cutting it anymore.

Viper, you must be a mind reader, because a good cuc to deal with the gasses was my next question :D. Thanks!

Sent from my Epic 4G

Viper, you must be a mind reader, because a good cuc to deal with the gasses was my next question :D. Thanks!

Sent from my Epic 4G

Yes, in fact I am a mind reader and at this very moment you are thinking that you should give me $20 for doing a little research on the topic :wave:

Viper said:
Yes, in fact I am a mind reader and at this very moment you are thinking that you should give me $20 for doing a little research on the topic :wave:

You're close, but no cigar. I was thinking about +/-'s of a DSB. I know it's old school, but I like the theory.

So do I get a refund? lol

Sent from my Epic 4G

DSB = "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey

+ = It's a great song with some good guitar work
- = It came out in the 80's

It IS a great theory to never stop believing. It was actually my second guess as to what you were thinking about it, but I didn't want to bring to light your proficiency with 80's hair bands...

There's no need for a refund because you haven't given me the $20 yet. That would be me giving you $20, which is strictly against my business ethics.

Now, returning to topic, I think I will be getting PFS for my next fish tank....

Viper said:
DSB = "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey

+ = It's a great song with some good guitar work
- = It came out in the 80's

It IS a great theory to never stop believing. It was actually my second guess as to what you were thinking about it, but I didn't want to bring to light your proficiency with 80's hair bands...

There's no need for a refund because you haven't given me the $20 yet. That would be me giving you $20, which is strictly against my business ethics.

Now, returning to topic, I think I will be getting PFS for my next fish tank....

OK, you reaffirmed your status (sort of) as a mind reader, since that song help get my Giants into and win the 2010 MLB WS!

Kudos to you Viper :D

But to stay OT, I was referring to any experience with Deep Sand Beds, if it's still a viable process and if PFS is useful for it?

Thanks

Sent from my Epic 4G

Hmm, well I know that style of 'scaping lends a sense of depth to the setup. I can't really comment on sand that deep as I've never had it that deep. PFS is a larger granule size so I don't think you would have much problem doing it that way.

Back
Top Bottom