pros and cons of snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hijack! But I have 4 (what I believed to be) mystery snails and I could have sworn till I was black and blue they didn't eat plants. Then, a week ago, I see two of them chowing down on my stem plants! How do I tell if they are apples or mysterys?

"Mystery Snails" are members of the big Apple snail family.

However, the difficulty of identifying "Mystery Snails" is that there are several different species of Apple snails that are sold under the name of "Mystery Snail". The Apple snail most commonly sold as a "Mystery Snail" is Pomacea difusa, previously identified as Pomacea bridgesii, which doesn't eat plants, or generally doesn't eat plants, and grows to golf/pingpong ball size, about 2 inches/5 cm. The Apple snail that seems to be secondly most commonly sold as "Mystery Snail" is Pomacea canaliculata, which loves to eat lots of plants all the time, and grows to baseball/softball size, 4-5 inches/ 10 + cm.

This is a good reference that can help you determine the species of your "Mystery" snail

Apple snail (Ampullariidae) genera and species.

and / or you can post a couple of good, clear, close-up photos of the snail's spiral/whorl.

Edit: Here's the great page for identifying Pomacea difusa vs Pomacea canaliculata. It has great, detailed photos. It's in the Applesnail.net forums:

http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18486

"Mystery Snails" are members of the big Apple snail family.

However, the difficulty of identifying "Mystery Snails" is that there are several different species of Apple snails that are sold under the name of "Mystery Snail". The Apple snail most commonly sold as a "Mystery Snail" is Pomacea difusa, previously identified as Pomacea bridgesii, which doesn't eat plants, or generally doesn't eat plants, and grows to golf/pingpong ball size, about 2 inches/5 cm. The Apple snail that seems to be secondly most commonly sold as "Mystery Snail" is Pomacea canaliculata, which loves to eat lots of plants all the time, and grows to baseball/softball size, 4-5 inches/ 10 + cm.

This is a good reference that can help you determine the species of your "Mystery" snail

Apple snail (Ampullariidae) genera and species.

and / or you can post a couple of good, clear, close-up photos of the snail's spiral/whorl.
Thats a good link. I did forget to say that several species are sometimes called mystery snails. Whoops. Good catch. :)

Thats a good link. I did forget to say that several species are sometimes called mystery snails. Whoops. Good catch. :)

Yes, that's the most confusing, frustrating thing about identifying "Mystery" snails. I also think that's why some people say "they ate all my plants" and other people say "they don't eat plants". It causes lots of confusion.

There's a great page with great photos for identifying difusa vs canaliculata, but I can't find it right now.

Ok thank you both. I will read the link and do some searching. Then, if I still can't tell, I will post some pics on a new thread. Thanks again.

Edit: Oh and I think I may have some of each. My older ones never ate plants but my new ones do! or maybe they are teaching each other bad habits LOL.

Thanks for all the information.
Well, last night when I was doing a PWC I found a snail. It was tiny, probably 2-4cm. I quickly threw it into a breeding cage to identify it after I was done refilling the tank but that little sucker was gone by the time I came back. It probably came with my last batch of plants two weeks ago and was black/brown in color.

The search continues.......

Thanks for all the information.
Well, last night when I was doing a PWC I found a snail. It was tiny, probably 2-4cm. I quickly threw it into a breeding cage to identify it after I was done refilling the tank but that little sucker was gone by the time I came back. It probably came with my last batch of plants two weeks ago and was black/brown in color.

The search continues.......
My best guess from the color would be a tiny pond snail. Good luck! If it is a small pondsnail, it won't remain alone for long...

From reading I think it was a pond snail also as it was racing across the glass with lighting speed

Back
Top Bottom