Pros and cons of Tannin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are the benefits of tannin in the water column? I know it softens the water and lower the pH which is good for my discus but is there a level of too much tannin and will stress out the fish? Thanks.

roydooms said:
What are the benefits of tannin in the water column? I know it softens the water and lower the pH which is good for my discus but is there a level of too much tannin and will stress out the fish? Thanks.

Tannins wouldn't do any damage to ur fish. Ur fish will enjoy it like u said. The cons is just the unsightly teaish color.

As you said, will lower pH slightly if that's your desired result, fish are not harmed.

con's brownish tea colored water .... carbon in the filter will help to clear that up.

Thank you both.

The tea-ish color doesn't bother me. I'm not planning to use carbon because I have plants and I don't want the carbon to absorb the fertilizers. I just want to know I tannin has a bad effect on fish.

Do you know if the tannin will stain any equipment, hose?

Back
Top Bottom