Pros or cons of painting a back round?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pros or cons of painting a background? Are there any cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pros or cons of painting a background? Are there any cons? Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have all pros, no cons yet.
Mine are painted on the outside black
Looks great, had them for years

Okay I'm going to be buying plasti dip today. And i will be painting tomorrow when I move my tank to the new house.
Just wanted to hear if any one had and negative view on the aspect of painting the background.

I'm going to do a black background on my 30 gal soon, and from all the research I've done. There's not really a con to doing it I can see. I think it looks great especially when you have a planted tank.

May the force be with you.

The one obvious con would be wanting to change the background sometime down the road. That would depend on the individual, though.

Thought of that and this is why I'm going to use plasti dip. A rubber coating so I can remove it if I ever want to.

I never understood why you would only want to be able to see through the front (and sides)?

Unless your tank is in a wall you won't be able to see through the back?

Most people paint the back of the tank so you don't have to see all the cords. And apparently once painted the color of your fish and plants will pop out more. The background is also supposed to direct the light better.

ah...mines in a small nook near where a stair case goes down next to it, then theres a landing, and the stair case turns 90° and then continues down. So you can see in it walking up or down the stairs from eithe direction. Even if it was against a wall...whats wrong with seeing through it to the wall?

Like I said before. Most people don't like seeing the cords. Me for example I have a canister filter so I have nasty brown hoses, and 3 cords from my light fixture. Supposably when you paint the back the color of your fish and plants will pop.

I just like the way tanks look with the black back ground, it makes all the colors seem more vibrant.

May the force be with you.

How did you clean the back before you painted it?

How did you clean the back before you painted it?
I used Acetone.

I might add the only paint I have ever had truly adhere to the glass is Krylon Fusion.

I have also used Latex but it takes a crazy heavy coat to get good coverage.

Just bought plasti dip from Home Depot.

This should be perfect for your application. Why use acetone to clean it? Its just glass, it requires nothing special. A microfiber rag and water will do the trick...or if thats not good enough, the same rag with some isopropyl alcohol.

Awesome, elephantnose! I can't wait to hear what you think.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom