protect my bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barefootKATE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an aquaclear on my tank. It is real easy to clean because I use the biomax, so when I clean the filter I can rinse out the sponge and don't have to worry too much about killing the bacteria. My dad however has a whisper filter, and It is time to clean it. The whisper uses the carterages, so there is only the fiber bag and the loose carbon. Can I still rince out the bag and just replace the carbon? He has well water with nothing harmful to the fish in it.

While I'm asking questions, there is also a rust colored algae? growing on his gravel and silk plants. What is it? What caused it? What can I do about it? I've never seen it before.

The rust colored algae is most likely diatoms. Usually caused by poor lighting, excess silicates (hard water), and poor waterflow. Not a big deal really. Just scrub a do a waterchange. They are a sign of a newly setup tank and nothing to really worry about. As far as cleaning the filter. Rinse the pad in used tankwater. I even run mine straight under the tap. Bacterial is everywhere in your tank, on the gravel, plants, and even decorations and rocks. I haven't replaced a filter pad in over a year.

Can I still rince out the bag and just replace the carbon? He has well water with nothing harmful to the fish in it.

Sure. Or, you can keep the carbon and replace the filter sleeve. I know the newer Whisper Filters have those biofoam pads infront of the cartridge. If so, just change the whole thing out.

Honestly...that's what I do. I have a fully cycled tank that's been running for more than 2 years. When the filter needs replaced every few months, I just pop a new one in. No problems yet.

I would get rid of the carbon if he has good water and replace it with some more biofiltration. Some filter floss, or another sponge would be a lot more useful.

Empty out the carbon and put on a new fiber bag. Rinse the old bag in old tank water, then put it in the water flow, just after the new bag. Then alternate the bags, but then you don't need to worry about using old tank water, as you have preserved your bacteria on the other bag. It has worked well for my whisper.

Otocinclus cats love diatoms, but they can be sensitive to hard water, which well water often is. Have you tested your hardness?

I have a Whisper filter and I had the same question about the carbon bag. I got a new, dry one, dumped out all the carbon chips and now I use just the pad as biological and mechanical filtration. I will never have to throw it away, just rinse in tank water once in while when it starts to get clogged.

I have very hard water and i keep 2 oto's in my tank.. they've been in there for about 3 months... I think your dad should get a few.. they're cute.

Back
Top Bottom