Puffer compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tqy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I went to visit a fish store and stumbled upon a tub full of figure 8 puffers. My initial reaction was to wonder how this is even possible, the puffers were not fighting, the big puffers were not even picking on the smaller ones! This led me to think whether these puffers were territorial and whether they could be kept in groups or with other fish. So would I be able to keep them with other fish or in groups without them becoming territorial?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446261256.329368.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Puffers are very territorial. The reason you saw no aggression is because they are in a heavily stocked tub where there is no room for territory to be established.

Figure 8 do best in brackish water and are not community friendly with other fish by any means. Puffers are either bullied or they are the bullies and there is no in between.

Puffers can however be kept in groups of the tank is densely planted with lots of plants to break the line of sight and curb aggression.

Caleb

Puffers are very territorial. The reason you saw no aggression is because they are in a heavily stocked tub where there is no room for territory to be established.

Figure 8 do best in brackish water and are not community friendly with other fish by any means. Puffers are either bullied or they are the bullies and there is no in between.

Puffers can however be kept in groups of the tank is densely planted with lots of plants to break the line of sight and curb aggression.

Caleb

I see. Thanks a lot!

Go ahead and visit thepufferforum.com and check out their library section. There's a full article detailing everything you could want to know about F8's. They are generally tolerable of each other in a tank (if it's big enough - I believe the rule is 15g for the first one and 10g for each extra one). In terms of compatibility with other fish, people have had success mixing them with other brackish fish like dragon, bumblebee, and knight gobies. They are much less aggressive than many of their puffer counterparts, but they are puffers nonetheless and caution should be taken.

Back
Top Bottom