Puffer info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
My wife is obsessing with puffers, so I promised I'd look into getting one. My father-in-law just gave us a 10 gallon tank with all the goodies. I'm nervous about having another tank setup again, but that's another story. I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on keeping the dwarf puffers or other species of puffer that will work in a 10 gallon tank. If it's too small of a tank for any species of puffer, please do let me know. It will most likely be set up as biotope and a species tank from whatever region they are from.

if you're putting puffers in a 10 gallon, the only kind i would recommend are dwarf puffers. i have 7 in my 10 gallon right now with an oto to clean up the algae. they are really easy to keep in my opinion and have such personalities. they like live plants and mine only eat bloodworms. madasafish keeps them too and knows much more about fish in general than me. if he doesn't see this thread, i'd PM him.

Yep, I'd say the dwarf puffers (Tetraodon travancorius) are your best bet. South American Puffers (Colomesus asellus) get to about 3" in tanks (says PufferPunk), though they can reach 5" in a large space. This is the next best bet, but I never put anything over 1.5" in a 10 gallon myself.

You could have up to 8 or so in a 10 gallon. I'd keep it planted with low-light plants such as Hygros, Anubias spp..

Back
Top Bottom