Puffers with guppies and shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsyqueen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The tank I bought my ghost shrimp from was also stocked with guppies and puffers. Are puffers good fish to put in a tank with neons, and cories, and my one male betta?

uhhh this is my opinion

NO

puffers are agressive and like oscars(IMO) they will eat the other fish

Most likely the puffers you got are BW
Do you know what kind of puffers they are??
Are the dwarf, figure 8, green spotted???
Puffers are EXTREMELY aggressive and should be kept in virtually species only tanks
If you can return them and ask them to put them on hold until you get more information as to what they are and understand the proper ways to take care of them

I was given false info at a LFS and added a little Green Spotted Puffer to my 10 gallon when I had a Betta with some Tetras. A couple days later this little Puffer the size of a pencil eraser had the rest of the fish packed against the opposite side of the aquarium. Later that same day he had nipped my Betta's fins down to nothing. Very cool fish, but only good in a single species tank.

the puffers are an extremely nippy fish. they will shred the fins off of any fish they can catch. the also love to eat snails and shrimp. these are awsome fish, but you would have to set up a sperate tank for them. When I kept them they even tore apart a pleco that was three to four times there size 8O

yea the puffers are really agressive

and no Ghost Shrimp will NOT eat snails

i have alot of snails and my ghost shrimp dont eat them

so i wouldnt really expect that to happen

Please remove the pufffer to a species tank a fabulous dwarf puffer of figure eight puffer setup is to have 3 in a 10gal with some snails or 5 in a 20gal I have had a figure eight and he was a very mean fish, fun and nice but mean to the othjer fish.

JMHO

HTH

puffers will usually eat snails..they like live foods which are meaty ,and have little beaks for cracking shells open.

but no, they don't mix well with guppies or any peaceful fish with big fins.

Back
Top Bottom