pulling a canister filter running in tandem with ugf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've got a 30 gallon with a ugf running with a canister running as well. the canister filter is only on there to get established and then moved to a 55 gallon cichlid tank i am starting.

the canister has been running for weeks and i am within about a week from setting up the larger tank.

do i have to be worried for the fish in the smaller tank when i remove the canister?

the tank does have 1 marbled angel, 1 goldie, 1 double tail betta, 1 hillstream loach, 1 dwarf frog.

i know i'm mixing hot and cold fish (goldie is probably going in the pond with the others, such a pig) but i gave the smaller tank to my wife and thats what she wants in it. i have them all happy though.

when i move the canister filter to the bigger tank, can i go ahead and introduce a few fish. i had african cichlids in mind but i think i am going new world.

it is my first canister filter and i have never tried something like this.

It would depend on how long the UGF has been running & if it has enough BB established especially with the Goldie. You may experience a mini cycle IMO. so I would test the water daily for a week or so. As for moving the canister filter to the new tank & putting fish in right away, how many weeks has it been running? The BB will adjust to the amount ammonia produced so I would probably do a bit of a fish less cycle with pure ammonia if possible to build up the BB for the stock you want to have. However, if you add a few fish every couple of weeks or so then the BB would have time to adjust without being too overwhelmed & again I would test for a while to ensure nothing goes too out of whack.

If after you move the canister filter is the ugf going to be the only filtration in the tank? If so you need to consider getting another filter. Either get a good HOB or another canister.

i'm sorry i did respond to this but i guess i never submitted it. thank you for the info.

i did about three days ago pull the canisiter out and so far so good. no casualties in the 30.

canister is running on the 55 gallon. no bb bloom yet but i am going to give it more time. i won't put fish in it til the beginning of next week. thats another thread though.

when the fish get bigger in the smaller tank i will add another filter. i have always just used ugf and never really had a problem. i'm good about maintenance. i caught the angel fish nipping at the bettas fins so the betta gets a planted tank. it wasn't the fake plants.

Back
Top Bottom