Pump Water for Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
What I've figured out is that a Python is not going to work for me. My sinks are too far away. On top of that I Didn't want to rip out the cap covering the faucet to reveal the threads. I don't mind carrying buckets as it's probably the only exercise I get, but I was wondering if there is an easier way to get water out of the tank than submerging the tubes and creating a syphon. It gets harder as the water level gets lower and I end up knocking things over in the tank. I was thinking of an electric powered pump. Would it be possible to gravel vac with something like this?

I recentely bought a syphon at Petco that's a self starter and I love it. Has a bulb you squeeze a couple of times and it sucks the water right out into the bucket. Personally, I'd love something that works in reverse and takes the new water from the bucket to the tank. I seem to always spill something.

Distance should not matter for the operation of a python. If your hose is not long enough, just use a cheap garden hose as an extension. Then are much cheaper than buying the hose from python and will screw right on to your python.

A pump will work for sure, you just will want a fairly slow pump. Too fast and you will be sucking everything out of the tank, like it or not.

If you choose to go the siphon route, Consider a valve on the siphon hose. Like the kind that comes on the python. Or the type that you can screw onto a garden hose. Fill the hose with water from the sink, carry it over to the tank with the two ends held at the same level so that you don't get your feet wet. Make sure the valve is closed and place the end without the valve in the tank. Place the end of the hose with the valve into the bucket and open the valve. The siphon will start and you are on the way. When the bucket gets full, close the valve but leave the other end in the tank. That way you don't lose your siphon. When you come back with your empty bucket, just open the valve and get back to work.

Those are great suggestions. Thanks, guys. I think a self starter would be all I really need. I just don't like tearing apart the whole aquarium just to gravel vac and change water.

Back
Top Bottom