Purchased used tank. What kind of in built Filtration system is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgarcia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I recently bought this really cheap tank, I believe it gets a 280-300 litre tank.

Only reason I purchased it was because it was really cheap and I had a idea of refurbishing the design frames and stand. Tank has a picture frame built around it which I’ve dismantled and currenty repainting.

Although on pick up and when I finally got home, I saw the left side of the tank had a barrier, some sort of filtration system, I’m really curious on how this works, and what kind of filtration system is this called? Any links to photos or videos would be appreciated,

I’m new to all this filtration systems and have been doing some research on sumps but they’re never in built into the tank. And I can’t picture in my mind how the one in my tank works to the sumps I’ve seen that are external.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 62
Looks to me this is a sump setup. Water in the tank overflows into the partition then out of the partition down to a sump. Then a pump in the sump pumps in back in. I'm not positive because i can't quite make everything out. I think you need to put bioballs and a mesh filter in a sump below.

Thanks rlederer for your input, much appreciated.

Anyone else got any ideas? Any videos that may be similar to this sump set up?

Anything would be good!

You could seal the drilled hole and run it something like the wet dry compartment of a bio cube. To see what I mean just look up bio cube filtration or even a fluvial Spec V just to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Definitely an unusual setup for sure though.

Back
Top Bottom