Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Purigen is one of if not the most popular form of chemical filtration. Far superior to carbon. I would recommend it to anyone.

I have used it. It works great. Made my water crystal clear.

It help absorb things that would become nitrates eventually. Can be reused.

I won't use it unless I have nitrates issues, I'll say it's unusefull in planted tank.

It help absorb things that would become nitrates eventually. Can be reused.

I won't use it unless I have nitrates issues, I'll say it's unusefull in planted tank.

It does quite a bit more than that. Purigen's primary use is in clarifying water. It will absorb tannins and other compounds that will loud your water.

I am a big fan of it and I use it in conjunction with some floss to give me crystal clear water aka the fish in air look!!...
The bonus is, it can be recharged and re-used

Yes to Purigen

I would not be without it. I have two 100 ml "bags" in each tank. That, together with 100 micron AquaticLife polishing pads gives the most unbelievable crystal clear & polished water you can imagine. Using Fluval C series HOB's, the water looks like it's been run through a canister and a UV sterilizer. You can clearly read printed material through the 36 inches of water side view with no problem.

Does it effect the cycle?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should it be used during cycling a new tank?

Should it be used during cycling a new tank?

I wouldn't use it during the cycle because I 'think' it has an effect on Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates. Again I'm not certain but probably best not too.....

I would have to agree with the above I don't believe you would need it when cycling it may slow things up it might help keep the water clear it may also interfere with the cycling when it's coming down to the nitrate stage where you want it to come down on its Own not to be taken out before it should be

I think it doesn't affect anything to the cycle, it just help water quality to be maintained.

===============================================
After some researches:

According to Seachem directly, they says it can extend cycling process.

"Because Purigen removes nitrogenous organic waste, it can extend the cycling process in some cases. There are a couple of things you can do to help prevent this. "
http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=4021

I won't have a tank without it. The only time I remove it is if I'm cycling a new tank, or treating with meds. Some meds can permanently foul the beads. Recharging is easy with 1:1 bleach for 24 hours, then an 8 hour soak in a prime mixture (30ml to 240 ml water). Works great!
On a side note, my experience is that it can only be recharged about 20 times. After that, the water polishing effect is gone. But at around $15-20 for 250 ml, it's worth it in my opinion.

I swear by Purigen for clear water. I use it in my heavily planted, hi light, hi tech tank with no ill effect. According to my test results it doesn't remove any of my ferts. OS.

+1 for purigen being awesome. I use it in one lgihtly planted tank with amazon swords and thy are doing real good and the water is clear

Back
Top Bottom