Purigen and Tetra Aquasafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was running out of prime so I went shopping for some more the other day. The Tetra Aquasafe was on sale and quite a bit cheaper so I decided to pick up some of that instead. The problem is I can't find an answer as to whether it's safe to use with Purigen. I know purigen can't be regenerated with Amine based conditioners, but I was never able to find a straight answer as to whether the tetra aquasafe was amine based.

81pEV6OQniL._SY355_.jpg

Good question. I am using Marine land water conditioner. Have no idea it's chemistry which breaks my rule of thumb of not using materials having chemistry I'm not familiar with. But I assumed all of this stuff was similar had some sort of bisulfite chlorine scavenger.

What is the conditioning chemistry of prime? Why can't purigen be regenerated and then used with amine based conditioners? What is the chemistry of purigen itself? I have been trying to get an answer for a couple months.

Good question. I am using Marine land water conditioner. Have no idea it's chemistry which breaks my rule of thumb of not using materials having chemistry I'm not familiar with. But I assumed all of this stuff was similar had some sort of bisulfite chlorine scavenger.

What is the conditioning chemistry of prime? Why can't purigen be regenerated and then used with amine based conditioners? What is the chemistry of purigen itself? I have been trying to get an answer for a couple months.

Per seachem: The amines from amine based water conditioners will react with the bleach to create chloramines when recharging prime.

As for in depth description of how purigen works, not a clue.

Okay, I am and industrial engineer, so am very familiar with amine interaction with bleach to form chloramines which are biocidal. But, I assumed that the bleach cleaned off the "rocks" that purgigen appears to be, then the bleach is completely rinsed away. I have never had purigen, only see pictures of it. I would assume the bleach itself would be harmful if that is getting in the tank. So now am even more confused on the chemistry and mechanism of purigen, and am reluctant to use something I don't understand.

However to your point of amines, and chloramines. If water conditioners were amine based, those amines would still react with the chlorine in tap water to form chloramines. Chloramines are what give a pool, or hot tub that "chorine smell". You cannot avoid the chloramine production when the organic material and hypochlorite (bleach) interact.

I can only assume the purigen will retain some of the chloramines when the reaction takes place allowing it to be released into the water. However that's nothing more than an unuducated guess based off of Seachem's statement.

As to not understanding chemicals and pricesses, seachem isn't even sure exactly how prime works. So... yeah.

As to not understanding chemicals and pricesses, seachem isn't even sure exactly how prime works. So... yeah.

You've got to be kidding me... How do you not know how a product you make and sell works?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

You've got to be kidding me... How do you not know how a product you make and sell works?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.
Theres a lot of technical chemistry going on with binders. Specifically the action of nitrite binding with prime. It was never designed to do that, it's just an odd happy side effect.

But it could ruin the purigen's ability to regenerate while it's in the tank so that it'd be like a one time use.. idk I'll help you find this answer with searches :)

worst case scenario is to call but I'm sure someone as asked this before somewhere.

Question: Purigen and Residual AquaSafe Conditioner [Archive] - Aquarium Forum

according to this page
organic cleating compounds in aquasafe appears to be anime based.

This is also from the tetra website which further indicates it has anime although they don't state it directly (kind of annoying since they specifically asked the question and they gave such a generic unrevealing answer)
15rcumu.jpg

Wait so what water condtionsers are bad? (anime bassed) and which are good? I mean we got marineland, aqueon, fluval, tetra....

Back
Top Bottom