Purigen bag position inside hob.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got my first Purigen bag and placed it inside hang on back filter. But i put the bag as last layer. First there is sponge then a sliding filter media and then the Purigen bag. Please have a look if its correct.

https://youtu.be/dO2VNzT7yKU

Or if i need to put bag as first layer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemical filtration in the latter stages is best. You don’t want the contact surface areas clogged with debris.

Looks fine to me. I have sponge/purigen/biohome in mine, bottom to top.
Thanks. Actually i don't see some great difference in water clarity. Maybe too early to say anything? Been over a week since I placed purigen.

Thanks. Actually i don't see some great difference in water clarity. Maybe too early to say anything? Been over a week since I placed purigen.

How discolored was the water to begin with? If it pretty clear to begin with, then you might not notice much of a change. I use a white bucket for water changes so that is the only way I can tell how discolored the water is.
I used Purigen a couple of years ago and it really made the water clear, however, it was a losing battle with the amount of driftwood I had in the tank. I stopped using it. Conversely, I also add a handful of dried maple leaves (thanks coralbandit) from time to time to my tanks. They release tannins and other compounds that provide a more natural environment for the inhabitants.

How discolored was the water to begin with? If it pretty clear to begin with, then you might not notice much of a change. I use a white bucket for water changes so that is the only way I can tell how discolored the water is.
I used Purigen a couple of years ago and it really made the water clear, however, it was a losing battle with the amount of driftwood I had in the tank. I stopped using it. Conversely, I also add a handful of dried maple leaves (thanks coralbandit) from time to time to my tanks. They release tannins and other compounds that provide a more natural environment for the inhabitants.
Thanks. Water was clear when I put it in filter. Also I want to know is it ok to use Seachem clarity with purigen?

Back
Top Bottom