Purigen holder??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Want to add purigen(sp) to the hubby's canister to see if this resolves the tiny particulate crap floating around his tank and I'm wondering if I can use a cheap knee high stocking as a media bag.

That's should work, they do sell it in "the bag" if you havnt already purchased. As long as stockings will not degrade during bleach bath regeneration?? Not sure. I've only worn knee highs once and it was a foggy night to begin with..

Buy the 100 ml in the bag..Best bag ever made ..All others fail the bleach soak you will need to do if want to regenerate..I had bags that lasted and recharged for over a year easy...
Great product but not sure if it will trap floating stuff?
I would try filter floss for that?

Ok so this brings up another question then since he runs a canister on the 125g & I only run ACs on mine where do I put the floss? From what he describes (I've never seen it apart) he has several sections with bio balls etc so do I put the floss on the top, bottom, both?????

Ok so this brings up another question then since he runs a canister on the 125g & I only run ACs on mine where do I put the floss? From what he describes (I've never seen it apart) he has several sections with bio balls etc so do I put the floss on the top, bottom, both?????

The floss is usually the first point of contact with the water, so wherever the water flows into the canister from the intake tube. Usually that's at the bottom of the media stack. What model filter does he have?

1) Yes, as noted above, Purigen is great for crystal clear water but it is NOT for removing particles.

2) Massive amounts of "bio-balls" or other beneficial bacteria media do NOT increase the amount of beneficial bacteria in a tank. The bacteria does get spread over a larger surface area but the amount of beneficial bacteria is limited by how much fish waste or uneaten fish food it can feed off of.

3) Floss is a good answer but the best solution is to use 50 micron polishing pads (or at least 100 micron) ... depending on what type of canister filter he has such as these:

https://www.chewy.com/fluval-fine-f...wCy5NY0RVaID-JDrJZxoCugEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The first few times floss or micron polishing pads are used ... they will clog very quickly when they remove particles that have been allowed to build up over time.

Floss should not be the first media. A more coarse media to trap larger particles should be first.

Coarse ===> FIne (floss or micron pads) ===> Chemical (Purigen) ===> BioMedia.

Back
Top Bottom