Purigen question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauriezuki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my packet of Purigen. I wanted to use it first in my little 5 gallon tank to clear the water. It says to use one pack for 100 gallons of water. Is there any hazard if I put that packet in the filter of the 5 gal. tank ? Can it do any harm to the water or the fish ? (I don't intend to keep it there after it clears the water)

It won't hurt your tank. You can't really "overdose it". It's not a chemical, but a filter media that removes organic compounds from the water. Maybe cut the bag open and pour out 90% of it into a container and just tie that bag off and use it. If you ever want to use the rest of it, just buy a reusable media bag and fill it up. (y)

I have wished I could use one of those heat bag sealers on the pouch to make smaller ones for nano tanks. You can just take it out when you are happy with the job it has done or as mentioned make a smaller amount bags. Fish stores and online sell smallish bags, if you go that route there are some which have a zip seal like a sandwich bag zip top. Purigen is really fine granules so you will need to make sure to get a very fine bag.

I appreciate the response. We did put a packet in our small tank, and it cleared it up in a matter of a couple of hours. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom