purigen questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrazil230

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just a couple quick questions about purigen, as I am now on the bandwagon, do you wait till its completely black to change it or does it stop being as effective before that. And has anyone tried regenerating it and if so how has that gone, I'm a bit weary about soaking anything in bleach and putting it back in my filter

I recharge mine when it's deep brown. It used to take me a couple of days of soaking in bleach, rinsing, soaking in bleach again.... And then another day of soaking in a strong dechlorinator solution, rinsing, soaking again...

Then a guy at one of my lfs suggested using pool chlorine. I bought the powder, and not realizing the strength of it, melted the plastic container I put the solution in. Lol

I still don't know how strong I ought to be making the solution, but the purigen is recharged in an hour. I rinse rinse rinse and then soak in a strong solution of Safe (like prime) for a few hours. I give it a thorough rinse again, and its good to go.

Initially I used to allow it to dry out so I could smell it for any residual chlorine.

I recharge mine when it's deep brown. It used to take me a couple of days of soaking in bleach, rinsing, soaking in bleach again.... And then another day of soaking in a strong dechlorinator solution, rinsing, soaking again...

Then a guy at one of my lfs suggested using pool chlorine. I bought the powder, and not realizing the strength of it, melted the plastic container I put the solution in. Lol

I still don't know how strong I ought to be making the solution, but the purigen is recharged in an hour. I rinse rinse rinse and then soak in a strong solution of Safe (like prime) for a few hours. I give it a thorough rinse again, and its good to go.

Initially I used to allow it to dry out so I could smell it for any residual chlorine.

How much powdered chlorine do you use

I will listen to others that are using the product but i would do what he did in the video and at the end let it soak with a dechlorinator. I did the same with my holey rocks and had no problems. The only thing I would do different is before bleaching it I would rinse/clean it out as best as I could. Top the jar with water and shake it like crazy, pour out and repeat. Then add the bleach and let it soak.

Purigen Cleaning with Bleach - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom