Purigen recharge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do I recharge my purigen. I put it in 1/4 bleach and 1/2 of water solution for a night and turned back creamy then I power washed it and rinsed it and put it in my filter. Nearly killed everything. Now it's been soaking all day since this morning. What should I do now

From Seachem forum:

"Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well.

As long as you rinse the media well after the dechlorination step and there is no sign of residual chlorine/bleach, the Purigen should be ready for use. We are currently working on changing the instructions on the website and any labels printed in the future will have that step omitted."

You needed to soak it long enough with a dechlorinator for at least 8 hours or more. If it still smells like chlorine,,,let it soak longer with new solution.

Okay! Not stupid at least you are asking.....Wish it was before. Dechlorinator will be like Prime.

When you do your PWC in your aquarium...what do you put in the water when you are filling it up?

My tap water... Lol then I out some water clarifier in and stress coat if I added a fish recently.

Stress coat (API?) is your dechlorinator which removes chlorine, chloramines and ammonia from tap water. Which should be put in every time you do a PWC.

The 2 to the right (either one) not the "TOP FIN" one is what you need to put to neutralize chlorine. Look at P220 post to get the amount needed to do this.

Let it soak for 8-24hrs......If it still smells like chlorine rinse well & make a new solution and let it soak again.

Back
Top Bottom