Purigen VS tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tleyton

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long did it take for Purigen to remove tannins from your tank? Just curious...I put Purigen in my canister filter last night, it's been 12 hours or so and I really don't see a difference yet.

Do a PWC and you will notice a difference. Purigen seems to have a hard time playing catchup but if all it has to do is clean out the newly leeched tannins it does a most excellent job.

Oooh, ok. I can definitely do that. Is there any specific spot in a canister filter I should have placed it? I just threw it in one of the middle media baskets. Do you have any idea?

I keep mine the top basket of my canister filter. It seems to work best if it one of the last things your water has to pass through.

Ok. I am not graceful at all when it comes to disconnecting and opening that thing, I always make a huge mess! But I guess I Gould probably attempt to move it later tonight. Thanks for the advice!

When it comes to opening and moving it here are some of the tricks I use to minimize the mess. Before you disconnect anything grab a hand towel and set it by the intake and outtake ports so when you disconnect then it will help absorb the spilt water.

When you are opening it just do it in the bathtub. The only place my wife will let me work on the canister filters is in the tub because of the inevitable mess that it will make at the kitchen sink.

Haha. Yea. My husband always gives me the evil eye when I say I have to open it. Thanks again.

It all depends on how big the tanks is, how heavy the tannins are in the water, how much they are leaching each day, and how much purgen you used. It would be a different amount of time for each tank and situation based on the above.

Yea I figured that there were many variables. I'm just super anxious for it to clear up and hoping for miracles. I did a 25% wc and it's already looking spectacular. It was between tea and coffee colored.

Back
Top Bottom