pushing the limits of a 29g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reun

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of remodeling my 29 gallon, and I have been working with several stock lists. The main thing was to keep my corys and cherry barbs and work with that list, so I have been looking at fish to keep with them without over crowding. So, this is what I am considering...

6 Corys
5 Cherry Barbs
X Zebra Danios

danios seem to like current, and half of the tank is going to have a pretty strong current. I was wondering if 5 or 6 of them would overcrowd the tank.

anyway, the tanks hardware will be as follows:

cannister filter 200+ GPH
Aquaclear 20 over the back filter
Aquaclear 50 powerhead w/ air inlet
Elite 802 air pump w/ dual air stones

the tank will eventually be planted, and it gets a 30% water change once a week.

so, thoughts?

You will be perfectly fine w/ regards to your bioload with that setup. :) However, an AC 20 HoB is quite small for a 29g tank. I personally run an AC70 on mine, and I purchased a Rena XP1 this weekend for the tank.

In my 29 all I had was 7 glowlight tetras and 1 zebra and he pounded them hard. A school of them might act different tho.

Cherry barbs are not shy at all. They are very peaceful and very entertaining. They seem to get overlooked very often, but I love cherry barbs. They are loads of fun to watch dart in between all of my plants as they play with each other. Can't beat their coloration either.

You will be perfectly fine w/ regards to your bioload with that setup. :) However, an AC 20 HoB is quite small for a 29g tank. I personally run an AC70 on mine, and I purchased a Rena XP1 this weekend for the tank.

yeah, its back up filtration. i will be running a canister filter as well that flows more than a standard over the back filter meant for a 40 gallon tank. so, the set up will have 2 filters, a power head, and two air stones.

Seems like a good setup. My 29g is filtered by an AC 70 HoB, as well as an undergravel filter powered by a Maxijett 600, and two airstones. I also have a Rena XP1 coming in the mail this week for it ^_^

Back
Top Bottom