Pushy Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
3 weeks ago I bought a male Flame Dwarf Gourami that I've kept in a 10 gallon/ 41 liter QT tank for 3 weeks now. He's been the only fish in the tank (apart from a shrimp) for now. I originally thought I'd have just the male. However, I thought he'd be quite lonely in the long run, and today went and bought a female Flame Dwarf Gourami, from the same tank at the LFS that I got the male from. I decided to leave the male in the QT for as long as the female needs to stay there, so they can keep each other company already, and then move them at once to the 18 gallon/ 70 liter tank I have waiting for them.

After acclimating the female for over an hour in a plastic bag, with the lights turned off, I finally released her. Now the male is chasing her around. I'm not sure what's normal behaviour between a Gourami pair, and what's being aggressive. Is it likely he'll get used to her over time, instead of bossing her around all the time? I don't want her to get stressed to death.

Males dwarf gouramis tend to be aggressive. However, in your situtation, since you have a male and a female, I do not forsee a problem in the longrun. Being that you have them in the QT, you probably don't have well established territories for each of them, which could be why he is chasing her so much. Make sure when you put them into the 18 gallon, you have established territories....fake plants or real, decorations, etc.

As long as there is no nipping, or ramming, IMO, they should be fine.

I do have some live plants, and other hiding places in the QT tank, tho. When I move them to the bigger tank, would it help to move the female first, so the male can't claim the whole tank his before the female arrives?

I have to agree with lmw80 on this one. Male gouramis can be aggressive and are great pursuers of females (and occasionally killers of other males). Chances are pretty good that your female will be fine, especially once she has adequate places to hide when the male is feeling 'the urge' and she isn't!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that :). I'll keep a close eye on her. If she starts looking too stressed out, I'll consider separating them.

I noticed that when I moved my dwarf gourami out of the 10gal and into the 55 he was much more tolerant of other fish. In the 10 he could only be by himself, and would tolerate no other tankmates except otocinclus cats! I have another tank that is 15gal and the DG in there killed all of the other fish we tried (small/medium sized tetras) except for a school of 3 cory cats.

I am jealous that you can obtain females - I can honestly say I have never seen one before, other than in pictures on the net and in books! They just do not stock them around here, presumably because they are not as attractive. Female bettas are the same way, except there are a few shops that carry them.

TankGirl...

You would probably have to go to a dedicated fish store to find the females. I too have noticed that large chains like PetsMart and PetCo don't carry the females most of the time. You're right...it is mostly because the females aren't as brightly colored as the males. Part of it may be that they don't want you breeding them and cutting into their business! :roll:

i originally posted below at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=9117

I have 2 dwarf gouramis which I have had for awhile, but lost a couple before my present pair. I went to the shop and asked for two gouramis, and they sold me two males, a blue and red. They literally nipped each other to death. I asked the shop why they sold me two males as they are constantly attacking each other but apparently it is rare for a blue dwarf gourami to attack a red gourami …. Anyway they gave me a female gourami to add a bit of sex to the mix but it was too late for the two males and I eventually put them out of their misery.

I did not add another gourami to my tank to ensure that there was no gourami specific disease in the tank after which I added another red male dwarf gourami and he has been peacefully living in my tank with guppies, cardinals etc. He is a bit pugnacious (as described in a book) towards the female dwarf gourami but apparently, that is normal.

Therefore I figure that it is risky adding two males in the tank but they do like a chase, so add a female otherwise they may chase something else

the above is the full extent of my knowledge, take from it what you will LOL

nothing to add really except that when i added my Angels the gourami has become rather shy. The female is now free to roam the tank.

You would probably have to go to a dedicated fish store to find the females.
Those are the stores I am talking about! There are 2 shops here that deal strictly in FW and SW fish, no other pet-related items, and they never have any female dwarf gouramis. They can order them for me if I really, really want them, but they actually tell me that it is easier for me to order them online and skip the middle man, so to speak. They do not stock them.

There are 3 other mom and pop type pet stores, not chains, that carry a wide variety of fish, some hard to find, but no female DG. There are 3 Pet Clubs, 4 PetsMarts, and four other pet shops that I think are regional chain stores, and though none of them carry female DG, surprisingly you will see some unusual fish there, if you look often enough.

I'm sorry to hear you don't have access to female Dwarf Gouramis :(. I'm lucky to have a very nice LFS with knowledgeable workers, and a nice variety of fish, even if the store isn't huge. They seem to carry an equal amount of male and female Dwarf Gouramis.

Back
Top Bottom