Put 12 rummynose tetras in cycled tank 3 days ago - 7 have already died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeyblaze8814

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I cycled my tank over the span of a month and purchased my first fish (12 rummynose tetras). I acclimated them slowly over a 2 hour period and 7 have already died over the past 3 days. No idea what I'm doing wrong, but seems like cycling was a waste of time.

72g bowfront
2x fluval 406 filters
2x heaters
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrites = 0ppm
Nitrates = 30ppm
Ph = 7.6
Kh = took one drop to turn blue
Gh = took 4 drops to turn green
Water temp = 81 degrees

What else could be wrong with the tank?

Did you happen to notice any particular behaviors before they died? Sometimes that can offer a clue.

I noticed two weren't schooling with the others, but many more than two have died

Parameters in newly cycled tanks can easily fluctuate. Did you cycle with seeded media or start from scratch with ammonia? Nitrite and ammonia spikes are pretty common if things haven't been given enough time. They can certainly be deadly. There are several other possible factors, but a die off like that makes me think it's something with your tank.

I listed my parameters above. No ammonia or nitrites in the tank. Not really sure what else I can do at this point

With carbonate hardness, you want the water to turn orange. I don't think that has anything to do with your problem, though.

I would guess that your beneficial bacteria wasn't ready for the sudden increase in bioload. Sorry.

I was adding 4ppm of ammonia to the tank and it was dropping to 0ppm within 22 hours. I really doubt 12 small tetras would be considered a "sudden increase in bioload".

Don't have any advice for you but sorry that this happened. I just added fish to my newly cycled tank and am terrified something like this will happen...

Rummynose are NOT the first fish you add to any tank!
Sorry you are learning the hard way but they would be last put in to make sure all is well and allow the tank to mature[not just cycle] for most.
What other fish are on your stocking list? Maybe move on to them.
Hopefully you have your temp up to at least 80 if not a little higher???
Did you research this fish ?

Hi coralbandit

I had the temp at 81 degrees but when I posted that in another forum (fishlore) they said that was way too high, so I lowered it to 78 degrees. Here's my stocking list plan, what would you recommend I get next?

10x sterbai corys
8x boesmani rainbows
12x rummynose (will now need something else)
1x centerpiece (unsure of what)

Since posting earlier today, 2 more rummys have died....

Get the rainbows first.
They are hardy fish.
Then add the sterbai.
Watch your tank for mini cycles ,but you really should have WAY better luck with the bows.
I have kept fish for over 30 years and expect to lose some if /when I get rummies.
Sometimes I do sometimes I don't,
They are a fragile fish IMO...
How about a nice single angel for centerpiece???
Or a pair of rams:cool: ??
72g is a nice tank!

Thanks coralbandit, it's good to hear that they're just not hardy fish. I'll def get the rainbows next. What kind of rams would you recommend? Are all of these fish OK in 80 degree water?

I was adding 4ppm of ammonia to the tank and it was dropping to 0ppm within 22 hours. I really doubt 12 small tetras would be considered a "sudden increase in bioload".
12 small tetras definitely normally wouldn't have a huge impact in such a big tank. What were you using as your ammonia source?

I clearly recommend GBR because I breed them and they are they 80+ fish.
Cardinals,rummies and sterbai are the most common high heat combo. Although all cories prefer cooler water the Sterbai is the recommended cory for the warm tank in most cases.
The GBR are not the easiest ram but Bolivians like cooler temps....

Why does it have to be a problem with the tank?

I can see a lot of other problems. this type of fish is usually shippped from the wild or pond or tank raised in Florida if the fish has parasites or disease, the stress will cause the fish to have problems ending in death. Assimilation, Care, Feeding & Illness - Gorgeous Guppies
I treat all my new fish with this general illness treatment
Another problem is the lfs they are in business to make money enough said.
The best advice I can give you is to find a tropical fish club closest to you,join it, and pick some brains. I travel about a hour and 15 minutes once a month to a meeting. I can't tell u the amount of help and information I received from them.
I hope this helps
Steve

Thanks guys,

I'll get the rainbows next and hope they do well in the tank. Then I'll get the sterbais and figure out what schooling fish to get after that

Back
Top Bottom