Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
putting fish in a new tank while gone?

i'll be going on vacation in a few days, so im bringing fish from my 55 gal tank, over to someones house in a 20 gal tank, to take care of them, while im gone.

the problem is that the water from the 20 gal will be brand new, so if i just put in some used filter media into the filter would that be ok, without doing proper cycling?

i'd hate for the fish im bringing to not make it while im gone (im going to sound bad, but they're more of my favorites, {as well as being fish i wouldnt want to leave alone with just a auto feeder, as they might snack on some neons)

incase you're wondering, i'll be transporting:
1 small BGK
3 Moonlight Gouramis
4 Kissing Gouramis

i dont have a say in if they can just stay where they are...so please dont ask me to leave them

Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Can you move the entire filter? If you can, just use the current filter on the 20G tank, as it will already be cycled. And then when you get back, you won't need to worry about re-cycling the 55G when you move the fish back. If the filter is just left on the 55G with no ammonia source, the bacteria will begin to die off and you will need to re-cycle the tank. What kind of filter is it? Is it something that will fit on the 20G?

Old 08-01-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

won't that be alot of fish for a 20G tank ?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
How long will you be away for? That seems like an afwul lot of work to me.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have a topfin/tetra whisper 60, and a penguin 330 on the 55g

the 20g has a penguin 170, and is running as my clawed frogs filter (no worries, the frog wont be with the fish)

the kissing gourami are still small, the moonlights are a good size and the BGK is only 3-4"

its nothing i'd leave permanent, but im sure they'll be ok for a a little more than a week

so wolf i'll be using the 170 filter, and some of its old media, i should have posted that eailier

i just wanna know if the fish, mainly the bgk because they're sensitive when they're young, will be alright in a new tank

and rich, yes it is alot of work...
Old 08-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
src
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there a reason why your friend can't just drop by your house once or twice to feed them while you are gone? It seems to me that the stress of 2 moves (when you leave and when you come back) will be MUCH worse than just skipping a couple of meals.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
If you are going away for a little more than a week, your fish do not need to be fed. They will be just fine and very happy to see you when you return. Moving them twice would be lot worse for them. Just my opinion.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by src
Is there a reason why your friend can't just drop by your house once or twice to feed them while you are gone?.
the reason is... my house will be locked up, deadbolted, with a big alarm system armed, and its a pain to turn off, have the alarm company call, explain, and reset the alarm every day, or every so often, and then theres the chance they forget to set it...

(beleive me, i house sat my neighbors dog, and they have a system that was unfamiliar with me, wouldnt turn off...)

like i said, its not my choice, otherwise i would be happy leaving the fish home
Old 08-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about one of those automatic timer feeding gadgets ?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
src
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ditto on the automatic feeder, then. Anytime you move your fish into a new environment like that, you are really taking a risk. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com