Putting hands in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently saw a tank with several dead/dying fish at a LFS. I informed the person who was working that something was wrong and she promptly stuck her hand in the tank to try to grab one of the fish(why?Shouldn't she have been testing the water or something?) Then she went back to what ever she was doing in another tank with her unwashed hands. Then she sold a guy a big expensive fish from another tank.

Now that you mention it. I never see the workers at xxxsmart wash their hands after being the tanks. What's the deal with that?

They are supposed to use hand sanitizer after being in the tanks at chain stores, at least. And to them not washing their hands in between tanks, most stores will have all of the freshwater tanks running on one loop and all of the saltwater on another. So, if anything is in one tank, it will eventually transfer to another. Granted touching any dead animal and then proceeding into another tank is simply retarded and she needs to be fired. You never directly touch anything that is dead. Doesn't matter if it's a fish or a dog or whatever.

I wash my hands before with warm water, but never after. I've had fish water splash in my mouth, algae, my floating water lettuce, fish food, etc. I quit caring so much. I just do some hand sanitizer.

The TB that fish get is a separate strain from what we consider TB (such as what killed off most of Poe's family), but still in the same family and is not the easiest to transfer. It is also easy to cure in the beginning stages and since I am frequently have to watch my health (recently became a vegan/gluten-free), I don't have the strongest fear. It's obvious for the most part too, skin rashes and severe itching.

Now, my gecko on the other hand, wash thoroughly before and after wash everything, including taking off any clothing he touched (he jumps all over me), and do a good scrub with hand sanitizer. I also then jump in the shower. I haven't had him long enough for the most dangerous diseases to be caught and luckily I got a CBB. But, still, reptiles carry much scarier and stronger things that transfer much better and fully to humans than fish. His cage gets cleaned out as well as I can and thankfully for me, I have a gecko who prefers to use the rest room in a particular area that he never goes too.

ShadoeFox said:
You know, what's funny is that only one person so far has thought about what you do AFTER you've had your hands in the tank. We're all worried about what we do BEFORE putting our hands in the tanks.

Haha! So true, but it was "before" I was focused on

I must be the only one who uses soap before my hands go in the tank, lol.

The way I see it, hot water alone does not remove every trace from your skin...hence why soap exists.

I give them a good scrubbing, followed by a thorough rinsing (maybe 45-60 seconds) until there is absolutely no scent or feel of soap on my hands. I also wash my hands and whatever part of my arm was in the tank thoroughly afterwards. My skin actually feels a bit itchy if I don't wash them right after...but that may just be in my head.

In my mind, it's less of a risk to thoroughly wash and rinse beforehand...as opposed to forgetting I recently had a harsh cleaner like 409 on them a while before and not removing all the residue.

i'm with you echo i always use soap before i go in the tank. just have to rinse really well after the soap.:)

I'm another one that uses soap before and after I do any work on my tanks. Before I leave work I clean the stain, glaze, etc. off my arms with acetone or mineral spirits. Now it's just a habit to wash hands and arms before I do anything with the tanks. Plus I hate having anything on my hands so hands get washed a lot! :)

Back
Top Bottom