Putting hands in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donavin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering what everyone does when there's a need to put your hands in your tank. What's the best thing to wash them with?

I have two methods... When my hands are clean and free from any lotions, chemicals, etc... I just use my bare hands and dive right in. After I'm done I'll give my hands a good washing all the way up my arm the length of which was submerged.

However, if I have to stick my hands in a really messy situation or if my hands might have something that can potentially contaminate my tank water, I have long dish washing gloves that are dedicated for my aquarium maintenance.

I prefer the latter because it's simply the cleanest for me and my tank.

Always wash your hands thoroughly with only warm water before reaching into a tank.

I tried to be clean about it with gloves, but after working at a government-funded aquarium and sticking half my body in tanks to scrub them clean, I gave up with gloves ;)
I always get nervous when I have papercuts on my hands or something. At the aquarium i worked at, the concrete in the tanks would rub my hands raw, and nothing happened. I like to use rubbing alcohol after, or neosporin.

I really focus on properly rinsing my hands after washing before I put them in the tank. With all the additives in soap these days like perfumes and lotions, I want to make sure I don't have any residue left that may harm the fish or bacteria.

You know, what's funny is that only one person so far has thought about what you do AFTER you've had your hands in the tank. We're all worried about what we do BEFORE putting our hands in the tanks.

You know, what's funny is that only one person so far has thought about what you do AFTER you've had your hands in the tank. We're all worried about what we do BEFORE putting our hands in the tanks.

You make a good point. I neglected to mention it because I thought of it as a given. They are, in fact, some illnesses that can affect humans if we're not careful when handling fish such as fish TB.

ShadoeFox said:

Read sivas post. It says to rinse your hands with only warm water before

You make a good point. I neglected to mention it because I thought of it as a given. They are, in fact, some illnesses that can affect humans if we're not careful when handling fish such as fish TB.

Yeah my GF is studying to be a registered nurse so we're always cautious of the microorganisms that can potentially harm humans. Let's not forget the big scare of the salmonella risk from african dwarf frogs. It's always wise to practice safety precautions regardless.

Wash with no soap but just hot water before....

Wash with Dawn dishwashing liquid after....

Wow! I've always been scared to wash with soap then put my hand in my tank. So warm water rinse and wash with soap afterwards is best?

Donavin said:
Wow! I've always been scared to wash with soap then put my hand in my tank. So warm water rinse and wash with soap afterwards is best?

I agree! I never wash with soap than put my hands in the tank just a really good rinse to wash off any oils, perfumes, lotions

I must be the only one who uses soap before my hands go in the tank, lol.

The way I see it, hot water alone does not remove every trace from your skin...hence why soap exists.

I give them a good scrubbing, followed by a thorough rinsing (maybe 45-60 seconds) until there is absolutely no scent or feel of soap on my hands. I also wash my hands and whatever part of my arm was in the tank thoroughly afterwards. My skin actually feels a bit itchy if I don't wash them right after...but that may just be in my head.

In my mind, it's less of a risk to thoroughly wash and rinse beforehand...as opposed to forgetting I recently had a harsh cleaner like 409 on them a while before and not removing all the residue.

The way I see it, hot water alone does not remove every trace from your skin...hence why soap exists.

I give them a good scrubbing, followed by a thorough rinsing (maybe 45-60 seconds) until there is absolutely no scent or feel of soap on my hands. I also wash my hands and whatever part of my arm was in the tank thoroughly afterwards. My skin actually feels a bit itchy if I don't wash them right after...but that may just be in my head.

In my mind, it's less of a risk to thoroughly wash and rinse beforehand...as opposed to forgetting I recently had a harsh cleaner like 409 on them a while before and not removing all the residue.

+1- That's exactly what I was saying.

Oh dang, I thought that one was common sense. ;)

I do..in a way. I am constantly washing my hands all day long every day. Every time I use the restroom, change a diaper, before making meals and snacks, after handling food with odors or oils, and after coming in contact with chemicals or anything obviously dirty. So at any given time when I decide to work on a tank, my hands have been washed recently, so I just do a good rinse with hot water. :)

I use gloves now. Earlier this year while doing a PWC I rinsed out the filter media in my canister filter as well. Washed my hand very well afterward. The next day I notice there were a few dry blisters on my hands. The next day there were even more. The skin on my hands then began to peal. This went on for about three weeks. After the first few days I went to the hospital. The doctor told me I must have had a bad skin reaction to the bacteria in my canister filter or tank (my guess is the canister filter). Ever since then I've been wearing gloves when dealing with my tank or filter.

I guess everyone is different, but seeing as how I am a smoker, I always scrub my hands and fingernails before putting them in the the tank or feeding my fish. Afterwards I just wash however much skin went into the water. Someone once told me bar soap has no sulfates (or sulfites?) so it rinses cleaner, I haven't experimented with this, so I don't know. Also if your a "germ-o-phobe" hibicleanse (sp?) is an antibacterial antiseptic wash, you could use after being in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom