Putting in starfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
My parents got back from vacation and returned with a starfish and said, "Maybe you could put it in your tank." I am iffy on the way it would look, but hey, gotta be nice right? :) If I do end up putting it in my tank (still unsure) do I have to do ant special washing like people do with driftwood for more than a week? Or would rinsing with water be sufficient?

I wouldn't put anything like this in your tank. It has been in saltwater a long time, and it is a dead organism, and will probably rot.

I agree. If it's one of those starfish that vendors sell by taking out of the water and letting dry out, I'd not put it in your tank at all. It's not treated in anyways, it's just...like mugginns said...a dead organism.

not form the ocean I wouldn't, parasites, sea salts, all kinds of ugly things that could destroy your tanks ecosystem, I seen these cool rubberish ones that moved there arms via an air pump at the pet store the other day, pretty cool to watch them move, even though its fake lol

My brother bought a Finger Sponge while on vacation in Florida, he put in his tank when he got back. It quickly rotted away to what looked like a stick, and killed all of his fish.

Back
Top Bottom