Putting up a betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse.R

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm thinking of putting up a small betta tank in my room. Should I take water and rocks from my 10 gallon tank and put it in the betta tank? I'm not sure if those little tanks have to cycle and everything first and then you put the fish in or not

Betta make awesome micro tank center pieces. Are you planning on using a filter? You're also going to need a mini heater- how do you plan on decorating- do you plan on using natural/ real decor and plants? How big is your tank/ bowl?

bettas are tropical fish so they need heaters and they also need at least a 2.5 gallon tank... and it is really hard to cycle anything under 5 gallons so I suggest getting another 10g and dividing so you can have 2 bettas

bettas are tropical fish so they need heaters and they also need at least a 2.5 gallon tank... and it is really hard to cycle anything under 5 gallons so I suggest getting another 10g and dividing so you can have 2 bettas

Why why why do they continue to manufacture and market these stupid 1/2 gal 'tanks' ??!!

image-927227265.jpg

Why why why do they continue to manufacture and market these stupid 1/2 gal 'tanks' ??!!

They especially market those at the chain pet stores! It makes me so mad! The abuse those bettas go through is insane! A little 2 cup bowl and at that they are often half full! How do they survive! How do you expect them to survive for very long after you take them home?

I'll just go through a few things. Depending on the size of this tank, as said, I would not opt for anything under 2.5 gallons, and that would not need a cycle(IMO), but would just need a water change a bit more frequently. Using gravel from an alternative tank won't be much of an addition to help cycle the tank if it is that small. Also, re-stating, you would need a mini-heater for something under 5 gallons, but not necessarily a filter(unless it's intergrated). If it's more then 5 gallons, you can even think about adding extra fish(if possible).
About the 1/2 gallon, I feel actually worse for the goldfish that have to go through that.:/ It's all about the companies trying to make money by using people's ignorance about fish. Truly is sad...

Bettas in really small decorative cups and bowls don't harm the betta- it's the owners that don't completely change out water every time they feed, heat/ cool water as needed and make sure the water is changed at least 3 times per day, along with proper plant maintenance, if planted... It's a lot more work, but if you're truly dedicated it does actually make for healthy happy betta, though there is a need for a 5g+ showcase tank to give them 'breathing room' at least one full day a week... Fun if you have a passion for it, but not a good idea if you have a life, lol.

I've seen 1/4 gallon tanks too. It drives me nuts! I was given a 2.7 gallon tank and it's labels as a goldfish tank! Haha. I don't think so.

I have to confess........I went to Walmart a few weeks ago and rescued all their female bettas! They were on a shelf at the back with no light and the males were all at the front. I brought them home and put them in a 20 gal planted tank. There were only 5 of them so I got lucky! I am beginning to think that one of the ones labeled "female" is actually male. Hmmm.......

Since Bettas like still surface water with their labrynith organs, I'd suggest creating a planted betta and shrimp tank. It'll do great and the plants would e a great natural filter. Also, with the small bioload of cherry shrimp and the low requirements of moss, this tank could be a jungle for the future shrimplets!!! ;)

Since Bettas like still surface water with their labrynith organs, I'd suggest creating a planted betta and shrimp tank. It'll do great and the plants would e a great natural filter. Also, with the small bioload of cherry shrimp and the low requirements of moss, this tank could be a jungle for the future shrimplets!!! ;)

I was going to do the same thing with my betta tank.. Then my betta decided that my shrimp were food. Just be careful because some of them are pretty vicious to things that they think are edible.

I was going to do the same thing with my betta tank.. Then my betta decided that my shrimp were food. Just be careful because some of them are pretty vicious to things that they think are edible.

They ARE edible ;-) and that would be why I'd suggest paying the 13 cents per ghost shrimp and buy about 4 per gallon- they spawn fast and betta can't resist freshly hatched ghost shrimp- usually it will keep them at bay for a couple months and the shrimp have next to no bioload and are VERY efficient cleaners. Also they are hilarious to watch interact with rcs and betta.... They try to fit in, lol.

Back
Top Bottom