PVC - safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

I purchased some great little PVC pieces at Home Depot today that I'm planning to cover with gravel to make little underground tunnels for my cories.

Is there anything about this idea that sounds unsafe to you all? I can't think of a reason that the PVC could cause a problem, but I know better than to just assume these things!

PVC is perfectly safe for the aquarium.
Just be sure to rinse off any oil and dust it may have picked up in the plumbing supply store.

I don't think there is a problem with the pvc per say but am wondering if the water in them will become stagnant and harmful.

Well I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind, but I'd be concerned with substrate cave-in. Also finding dead fish and removing them would be next to impossible.

Blazeherd2306 said:
PVC is definitely safe, but what do you mean by underground caves?

They are little pvc pieces that look like the file I've attached. I'm planning to glue substrate to them with aquarium sealant, place them in a corner, and then gently slope the substrate up as it approaches the pieces. I'm not concerned about an avalanche. But, I suppose I would need to be careful to do a head count every day to make sure there weren't any dead bodies rotting in there. 8O

Attachments

• pvc_314.gif
    pvc_314.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 510
I think it sounds like a really neat idea, just make sure the PVC isn't too small for your fish to swim through, or small enough that a larger fish wouldn't want to swim through it. :)

Oh now I see. It does sound like a good idea. I thought you planned on running it under the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom