PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

A question about pwc. I've seen in some recent posts that a lot of aquarists use a python. As I understand it, this is connected to the tap and so the tank is filled with tap water, chlore and every thing. Isn't the tap water bad for the fish? I thought the aquarium had to be filled with water that had been left sitting for at least 24h before using it in the tank. What do the people using the python do to protect their fish?

Thanks
Vero

Tap water is bad for fish BUT when you immediately add the dechlor to the water, there isn't an issue. The chlorine becomes deluted in the tank, but you still need to add the dechlor. I add dechlor as I'm filling the tank. That way it mixes around easily. The water doesn't have to sit for 24 hours.

I don't do anything to my fish to protect them from anything. I've been doing it for a year and have never had a fish death from it.

In many areas they use chloramines instead of chlorine so letting the water sit for 24 hours is pointless. Chloramines can take weeks to break down unlike chlorine which will breakdown in under 24 hrs especially if exposed to sunlight. So most people just rely on some type of dechlor water conditioner that works instantly to make your water safe for fish whether your tap contains chlorine or chloramines. Hope that helps explain.

I used to have Chlorine but when we moved our new lws uses Chloramines. I still just python in the water and shoot prime into the tank at the same time. Letting the water sit 24 hours with an airstone will release Chlorine. That's why some let it sit. But like Talloulou said, Dechlorinator will make it safe instantly. Plus, dechlorinators remove heavy metals.

Yeah, I never use anything with slime coat aide for my reptiles/amphibs. It gives them skin/breathing problems.
-Blizzard

Back
Top Bottom