PWC in Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
I do a 50% PWC on my 55 gal every week. We’ve had a major cold spell in Florida this week, and it seems like the water coming out of the tap is especially cold. I was thinking today that it might not be good for the fish when I add new water to the tank to have it come out of the tap (through the python), where it seems really cold. Usually I don’t mess with adding heated water to the tank during PWCs, but now I think it might be worth letting the water heat up a little.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

I do a 50% PWC on my 55 gal every week. We’ve had a major cold spell in Florida this week, and it seems like the water coming out of the tap is especially cold. I was thinking today that it might not be good for the fish when I add new water to the tank to have it come out of the tap (through the python), where it seems really cold. Usually I don’t mess with adding heated water to the tank during PWCs, but now I think it might be worth letting the water heat up a little.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

What I tend to do is fill a bucket with cold water from the tap in the sink. Then I fill the sink itself up with hot water, thus the water inside the bucket is warmed but you don't have any issues with the hot water supply being unsuitable.

I use an instant-read meat thermometer to get my tap water about 5 degrees colder than the tank temp. (I've been told this simulates rainfall). Up here in Chicagoland, I have to use heated water. It won't hurt the fish. If I used cold tap water in the winter, I'd be adding 45-50 degree water to the tank.

I adjust my tap in summer and winter to the temp of the tank using hot and cold water straight from the sink.

I adjust my tap in summer and winter to the temp of the tank using hot and cold water straight from the sink.

Ditto. Python on drain, faucet as hot as possible, then turned down to correct temp (by touch), then python on fill, add Prime to tank volume, voila. All done. :)

If you can get your tap water within several degrees of your tank... if you only change 20% of the water... the total change in tank temp when you're done won't be more than 1 degree.

Now, if you're doing very large water changes, temperature matching becomes more important. But even then, you only need to get it close.

55 gal tank = 50 gal of water at 80 degrees?
Take out 10 gal (20%) and replace with 75 degree water.
Total tank temp should only drop by 20% of the temperature difference ...
20% of 5 degrees = 1 degree total tank temperature change.

This isn't rocket science. ;)

cheap 50W heater? I keep my broken ones (those that the thermostat quits working on). Always come in handy for non-continuous heating situations.. I'm sure you could find an ubber cheap used one

I use an instant-read meat thermometer to get my tap water about 5 degrees colder than the tank temp. (I've been told this simulates rainfall). Up here in Chicagoland, I have to use heated water. It won't hurt the fish. If I used cold tap water in the winter, I'd be adding 45-50 degree water to the tank.

Yep, 5 degrees cooler not only stimulates rainfall but it induces hanky panky as well.

Im with you as far as having to use heated water but to be honest I am in the NW burbs and even during the summer our cold water is about 45 degrees.

Who makes your instant read? its not digital is it?

I wouldn't be too sure about the 'safe' temperature drop. Keep in mind that Ich can take hold with a quick temperature drop of just a few degrees, or so I've read. Better to match the temp. I do the Python fill technique, temp matched (by feel) and do it slow, add 1/2 of full tank dose of Prime at start and the rest halfway through the fill.

Python is a blessing by the way. I don't know what I was thinking hauling buckets for any amount of time after I learned about one.

It is a gravel siphon that has a long hose from the actual suction tube, that attaches to your nearest faucet.
Your able to suck out gunk and drain through the sink, and refill with a threaded faucet attachment.
Reduces all those bucket trips while doing water changes on larger tank!
But water conditioner must be given for the whole tank size, and not just the bucket size. Either immediately before or after refilling!
:)

It is a gravel siphon that has a long hose from the actual suction tube, that attaches to your nearest faucet.
Your able to suck out gunk and drain through the sink, and refill with a threaded faucet attachment.
Reduces all those bucket trips while doing water changes on larger tank!
But water conditioner must be given for the whole tank size, and not just the bucket size. Either immediately before or after refilling!
:)

Ah many thanks! I think my tank my be a bit far from my tank, but sounds like a good idea! I would have thought that allowing the fish to spend any time with unconditioned water would be bad news, but I guess it must be ok :)

I thought that the fish shouldn't have extra water conditioner OR chlorinated water in their tank too, but apparently thats not the case and fishkeepers go nuts over the python!
And its never too far from your tank, they have long long hoses...like 50+ feet!
Don't have a large enough tank to really NEED one, and the bucket trips are my bi-daily weight workout!

I thought that the fish shouldn't have extra water conditioner OR chlorinated water in their tank too, but apparently thats not the case and fishkeepers go nuts over the python!
And its never too far from your tank, they have long long hoses...like 50+ feet!
Don't have a large enough tank to really NEED one, and the bucket trips are my bi-daily weight workout!

heh, very nice! With a 17 galloner I'd probably spend more time faffing on setting it up and spilling water all over the place anyway :hat:

heh, very nice! With a 17 galloner I'd probably spend more time faffing on setting it up and spilling water all over the place anyway :hat:

I thought that too until I won a python as a door prize. I usually do water changes on all my tanks at the same time, but I even use the python on my wifes 5g tank. It's quite possibly the greatest piece of equipment I though I'd never need.

Ooh just reading about them, they look very cool indeed! Especially the ability to use the pressure from your tap to drain water out of the tank!

Can't find any UK suppliers tho. :(

There are a couple of brands out there. If you can't get one locally, try ordering the faucet adapter and the venturi tube. The rest of it can be cobbled together with hardware store parts. You may even be able to build the entire thing from hardware parts.

Back
Top Bottom