PWC questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanJee

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have read a lot about regular PWC (once or twice a week) in many threads to keep your aquarium healthy.

I have made my aquarium water soft after a lot of struggle to put neon tetras in it. Just wondering if I do PWC then my aquarium water will become hard again, since my tap water contains hard water.

To make it soft again I have to wait few days. How it will affect my Neon Tetras ?

TapWater: PH:8.0 KH:8.0
AquariumWater: PH:6.5 KH:3.0

How are you softening? Peat? I would just let the tap water sit for a few days, and use an internal filter or something with peat in it.

Another approach would be to treat the change water with a pH reducer/stablizer before it is put into the tank to avoid any sudden pH fluctuations. Peat is a more preferred natural method.

There's a pretty wide margin there between the two pH readings. Have you thought about obtaining an RO filtering unit? It'd be good for yourself too. I don't drink tap water anymore. Certainly don't let my fish breathe it.

http://tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=806

This is a small unit that makes 24 gallons a day and costs less than $100. They also have other units available that produce more if you need more and are quite affordable. Easy to set up and maintain too.

Water changes should definately be done on your tank to keep a healthy environment for the fish. If you are worried about the pH, you could do several small water changes per week. Or, obtain a holding container to put the new water in before adding to the tank. But if you are using peat in the filter, then I'd definately do several frequent water changes per week.

FWIW neon tetra do fine in my tap water: pH 7.8 10dKh

The majority of fish out there do not NEED exact water parameters to be kept in a healthy, happy state.

Now, some species do, and most species require certain pH and hardness levels (and often temperature) to induce spawning behavior for successful breeding.

But again, you're making your water soft without a real need to.

malkore said:
FWIW neon tetra do fine in my tap water: pH 7.8 10dKh

The majority of fish out there do not NEED exact water parameters to be kept in a healthy, happy state.

Now, some species do, and most species require certain pH and hardness levels (and often temperature) to induce spawning behavior for successful breeding.

But again, you're making your water soft without a real need to.

I am softening water because of this Cardinal Tetra,

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=895

They say water must be very soft ==> Tank Conditions: 73-81°F; pH 5.5-7.5; KH 2-6

I have KH:4 and PH:6.5

workfortheman said:
How are you softening? Peat? I would just let the tap water sit for a few days, and use an internal filter or something with peat in it.

I used "Tetra ph/kh minus". I have no idea about this peat method :roll:

TCTFish said:
Another approach would be to treat the change water with a pH reducer/stablizer before it is put into the tank to avoid any sudden pH fluctuations. Peat is a more preferred natural method.

There's a pretty wide margin there between the two pH readings. Have you thought about obtaining an RO filtering unit? It'd be good for yourself too. I don't drink tap water anymore. Certainly don't let my fish breathe it.

http://tricitytropicals.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=806

This is a small unit that makes 24 gallons a day and costs less than $100. They also have other units available that produce more if you need more and are quite affordable. Easy to set up and maintain too.

Hmm natural way is peat method. Its completey new for me. Can you tell me the procedure how to use peat to lower pH. :?:

Fishyfanatic said:
Water changes should definately be done on your tank to keep a healthy environment for the fish. If you are worried about the pH, you could do several small water changes per week. Or, obtain a holding container to put the new water in before adding to the tank. But if you are using peat in the filter, then I'd definately do several frequent water changes per week.

I will definately change water. I believe this thread will provide me info how to do it with peat method.

Expirementing with peat can be tricky. You have to do lots of pH testing to ensure that the level does not fluctuate. Also, the peat causes the water to be softer which can cause lethal fluctuations. As Malkore said, I wouldn't worry about what is "perfect" unless you plan on breeding VERY specific fish. I am keeping Rams , Rosy barbs , Elegans Cories , and Rummies in a tank with a pH of 7.8. They are all thriving. It's better to keep your pH stable instead of trying to fluctuate it to find the perfect reading.

They list the pH range because that is the range where it is optimal for neons to breed. It's kind of like manufacturers telling you to change the carbon insert in the tank every 4 weeks and replacing the sponge every 2 months. It's not needed at all and can really mess up the water chemistry.

Fishyfanatic said:
It's better to keep your pH stable instead of trying to fluctuate it to find the perfect reading.

This is very true, I learned it the hard way. My ph in my fw tank is currently 6.6. I have 1 silver molly, 3 black mollies, 2 neons, 1 cardinals, 2 white tetras and 3 cory's. All are doing quite well.
Good Luck,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom