PWC temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's what may be a silly question but I'm relatively new to this venture & so I'm going to ask. I've read the water being added to the tank should be the same temp as what's in the aquarium & I'm wondering how do you do that? Also do you let your water sit for any length of time before adding it? So far I've not had any problems with what I'm doing which is to run the water in my bucket, add some Prime & a little aquarium salt, I usually mix warm water with cold so the temp isn't too far off but I'm wondering if there's a better way.

It's usually good enough to just guesstimate it. I pump the water in straight from the faucet into the tanks.

I wouldn't worry about the salt unless you are treating for ich or something.

jetajockey said:
It's usually good enough to just guesstimate it. I pump the water in straight from the faucet into the tanks.

I wouldn't worry about the salt unless you are treating for ich or something.

Good to know. I'm not treating for ich, my understanding is that salt is beneficial & can help prevent diseases. When i do a PWC I only add the amount of salt for the amount of new water. But if I don't need to all the better or maybe just add it every now and then.

I'd save it for treating fin rot or ich or something. Some people swear by using salt but I think it's best to try to replicate as natural of conditions as we can. Plus you don't have to worry too much about ich or other parasites/diseases if you quarantine new arrivals.

Matching temps can be different depending on whether you keep a coldwater or tropical tank.

For my coldwater tank, I just use the water straight from my tap -- sometimes I let it run for a minute because the pipes in my house run through the attic, which gets warmer. I wait for the water to cool, then use it.

When I used to keep a betta, I'd just adjust the temperature at the tap and tested the temperature with a fingertip.

The fingertip method generally works pretty well (to within a degree or two).

And like jetajockey, I save salt for a specific purpose, like treating an ich outbreak or combating nitrite poisoning while cycling a tank.

Good luck!

I use a digital thermometer run the water till i get it within 1+/- degree and fill that way adding prime as the tank fills.

aoessand said:
I use a digital thermometer run the water till i get it within 1+/- degree and fill that way adding prime as the tank fills.

+1 that's how I use my python

CaptainMako said:
I apply Prime first, and run my water slightly colder than the ideal temperature to get the heater kicked on.

Why do you want your heater to kick on? I don't see the point in putting in colder water if you can match it

Adding slightly cooler water can get some fish to spawn, the cooler water mimics the cool rain at the start of the rainy season, I think...

Adding slightly cooler water can get some fish to spawn, the cooler water mimics the cool rain at the start of the rainy season, I think...

Can vouch for this on cories, nearly after every water change I seem to have half the tank covered in eggs.

Back
Top Bottom