PWCs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water Changes

Hello k...

Everything eventually dissolves in the tank water. The waste the fish and plants produce dissolves in the water, so the water should be replaced weekly regardless of the fish load in the tank.

Take a look at the tank water next time you remove it. It's an amber (yellowish) color. That's dissolved fish and plant waste, or specifically nitrogen (NO). This chemical is extremely toxic to your fish and attacks the exposed tissues, like those that make up the fishes' gills. When the breathing is affected, the fish stress and parasites infect the fishes' coating.

Removing large amounts of tank water doesn't affect the good bacteria, because very little lives in the water. Most of it lives on the surfaces inside the tank, like filter media, gravel, decorations and plants. That's why you don't need to vacuum the gravel, simply remove large amounts of tank water and remove it often. Remove the water and you remove the toxins that can kill your fish.

B

I agree with you, b, I was more referring to the people that aren't just taking out stagnant water and refreshing the water quality, but more the people who are new to the hobby and think that they have to gravel vac and filter wash and change and clean the whole inside of the tank with an algae sponge... Bb is especially high in the mechanical part of the filter and porous tank decor, hence my constant suggestion of using a turkey baster or dropper to remove just detritus and cellular break down refuge daily and a large change every other week ;-) this is what I do on my big tanks and 25% daily changes on my small show tanks. But every one is different and I was just giving a comparison from life experience. The only thing I did say about a normal large water change is that there would be a fluctuation on Bbs (slight lowering followed by a spike and then a return to normal by the time your filter has completely gone through your water). Thanks for your input, helps everyone out

Oh, and NO is nitrous oxide, NO2 is nitrite and NO3 is nitrate, there you have it, your chemistry lesson for the day, lol. Sorry b, I'm honestly not trying to pick on you, I swear, I'm just interested in helping people learn differences in techniques for maintenance. I think options and knowledge is important and fun.

Oh, and NO is nitrous oxide, NO2 is nitrite and NO3 is nitrate, there you have it, your chemistry lesson for the day, lol. Sorry b, I'm honestly not trying to pick on you, I swear, I'm just interested in helping people learn differences in techniques for maintenance. I think options and knowledge is important and fun.

Actually,
N2O is Nitrous Oxide,
NO is Nitric Oxide,
NH3 is Ammonia.

Actually,
N2O is Nitrous Oxide,
NO is Nitric Oxide,
NH3 is Ammonia.

Lol, you're absolutely right, skipped a breakdown/ build up step, used to know it by heart, including the fertilization and renewal, but now I just watch it in action through aquaponics- thanks for the correction!!

Back
Top Bottom