pygmy corries and kullie loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I searched both of these before asking but what would the recommended school size. I have a 10g and a 20g long. I would like to get a group of each and place each group in a different tank. What do you suggest or suggest against. Both tanks are now stable.

I would do the cories in the 20 and kuhlii's in the 10g, IMO. Give the loaches some rocks or caves to hide in/under. They prefer sand vs gravel, IME. Same with the cories. Rough gravel can damage their barbels on their mouth making it hard to pick food out of the substrate.

I'd say 4-6 kuhlii's in the 10g would be fine, what is the other stock?

6 cories would be good in the 20l granted there are no other bottom feeders in the tank.

10g, endler's, snails, start of a breeding colony of RCS, gravel substrate.

20g Swordtails, rehoming babies next week so 3 swordtails, snails, 25 RCS and sand substgrate

Both planted using PPS Pro dosing regime.

Kuhli's are great in 10 gals and up in groups of 5 or more, and pygmy cories also do well in 10 gals and up in groups of 6-8 or more.

For the pygmy cories, are you interested in hasbrosus, nanus, pygmaeus, or hastatus? It's good to know pygmaeus and hastatus are actually mid tank shoalers that do not rest on the bottom very much. Hasbrosus and nanus hang out on the bottom like most cories.

For either make sure you have a smooth substrate, especially the kuhli's as they will burrow in.

Given your current stock I think the mix that would look the best would be the cories in the 10 and the kuhlis in the 20, but either would be apropriate.

I think the kuhlis would do better in a 20 gallon while the corys would be better in the 10 but that's just my opinion bc corys will swim while kuhlis will stay in the substrate and on it.

I am going to rehome my swordfish and babies in my 20g back to the store I got them from and start raising Kribensis. Would that make a difference on which group goes where?

Siva, I was just at the Wet Spot last week, I go into Portland often...this week because I run the Oregon side of the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic.

Kribensis are aggressive breeders so you probably wanna do the loaches since they can hide in the sand

I am going to rehome my swordfish and babies in my 20g back to the store I got them from and start raising Kribensis. Would that make a difference on which group goes where?

Siva, I was just at the Wet Spot last week, I go into Portland often...this week because I run the Oregon side of the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic.

Ah lucky you! I wish I could get up there (live in Roseburg)..I've never been to the wet spot :(

I really don't know how the kuhli's would do with the kribs... I don't have krib experience so I really can't say. I agree the pygmy cories sound like a bad choice to mix with them though.

Okay....sounds good...loaches in the 20g with the Kribs...the reason I will go with Kribs is the lfs will take them on a regular basis while the Swordtails, they are just being nice to take them. My 10g has endlers who breed like crazy and I could use the fry as food. Right now, in my 10g, I have one male and many females and babies. I want breeders since my kids (students, I am a HS teacher) really love to see babies.

I was thinking it might not be wise as well...but I really don't know for sure. I think you need to get opinions from ppl who have experience with kribs. I might start a new thread asking specifically about keeping kuhli's with breeding kribs.

I have a breeding pair of kribs in a 20g high with kuhliis and they do just fine. Only time they chase the loaches is if they swim over their eggs or pits they dug.

I don't think you would have any problems.

allaboutfish said:
I think the kuhlis would do better in a 20 gallon while the corys would be better in the 10 but that's just my opinion bc corys will swim while kuhlis will stay in the substrate and on it.

I completely disagree, sorry.

Like you said, cories like to swim around while loaches typically hide. For that reason I would give the cories more room. Cories in the 20, loaches in the 10 would be the best bet, imo.

meegosh said:

Like you said, cories like to swim around while loaches typically hide. For that reason I would give the cories more room. Cories in the 20, loaches in the 10 would be the best bet, imo.

But corys wouldn't do well with a breeding pair of kribnsis. They're aggressive breeders and i had apistos with corys and they aren't that aggressive when breeding but still bullied the corys. This is IMO/E

I would not put a tiny fish like pygmy cories in a tank with a pair of kribs unless the tank was heavily planted where the cories would be hanging around in the plants(they don't move around a whole lot if the tank is comfortable) instead of buzzing around in the open. Larger corydoras species would be ok they can take a bit of a knock, but definitely not a pygmy, those guys are better suited for tanks with some of the more docile Apistos or peaceful communities.

I would agree here but I have a couple species of pygmy cories and they are about 1"..I can't imagine keeping them with the kribs.

I keep mine in a 14 gal which is the same dimensions as a 10 but taller, and my hasbrosus and hastatus have plenty of room to exhibit their natural shoaling and sometimes spazzmatic behavoir. They are so small that a tank this size provides them plenty of room IMO.

Larger cories abosolutely need a larger tank. Species that get up to 2" like pandas and julii I would never keep in a tank smaller than 20 gals, and the larger emeralds and albinos should have a 29+.

IME, kribs tend to ignore my bottom feeders unless they get too close to the eggs. Regardless of the size of cory, they are very active swimmers and the extra room can't hurt.

I absolutely agree, the more room, the better. Still, with something like a corydoras hasbrosus being bite size for a krib, personally I wouldn't feel compfortable with it. I mean my hasbrosus are smaller than most of my ghost shrimp...

Back
Top Bottom