Python?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I used my python for the first time tonight, and I have a stupid question. Do you refill the tank with the python too? I know it CAN, but it is water straight form the tap.... I thought that water was supposed to be de-chlorinated before you put it into the tank. So I drained the tank using my python (which, by the way, has weak flow, and doesn't vacuum the gravel), and then went through the back breaking bucket routine anyway. :(

Nah, I always fill with my python. Just use a good de-chlor like Prime. Make sure you temp match the water just like you do for buckets.

Put the Prime or whatever conditioner your using right in the tank before you add the tap water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Python

Ok, so I used my python for the first time tonight, and I have a stupid question. Do you refill the tank with the python too? I know it CAN, but it is water straight form the tap.... I thought that water was supposed to be de-chlorinated before you put it into the tank. So I drained the tank using my python (which, by the way, has weak flow, and doesn't vacuum the gravel), and then went through the back breaking bucket routine anyway. :(

There are two control valves to adjust the suction also when using to vac cut your hot and cold water on all the way. When ready to fill the tank match the temp best you can add Prime (the best product for your money and best to use with python) for your total water volume (ex. 3 ml for 30 gallon tank). Reverse the flow and you got it. I love mine makes a 45 minute job 15 with no back pain.

Hope this helped with out seems to teacher like, lol.

to revers the flow the python should have a little twisty thing on the bottom of the tap attachment put it up and twist then water will flow the opposit way but yes i have the same thing but with good water preasure, it still has to be at max on both to get decent gravle movement in the tube... i just add a half cap or prime right to the filter out flow so it mixes as im filling up the tank but your tank may need more or less prime my fish seem to be fine a little stressed from me moving a big tube thru the tank but fine otherwise

So as long as I add the prime first the new water will be treated as it comes in. I wasn't sure how long the Prime was "active" so to speak. Like if you add it before does it work on incoming water for the next five minutes?... does that make sense? Lol..

Yup don't worry I think this is the way everyone with a python does it or at least most people. I put mine in and swirl it in with the rest of the water then add the tap water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

The suction problem, I would just put the faucet all way and the suction on mines is great. Also make sure that the lever to control the flow is all the way open. I dont know for some reason I always find myself accidentally closing mines and wondering why the water is not flowing...d'oh.

As for filling it back up, I put Prime in (amount of prime for the whole tank not just the amount of water I'm putting in) fill it up, let it sit for about 5 minutes, turn my filter back on. I read somewhere that tap water running through the filter without dechlorinator will kill the bacterias that's why I would let the Prime and new water sit for 5 minutes before turning the filter back on. I have to say too that my bubble bar helps with mixing the water while the filter is off. Hope that helped.

can't wait to get this... i accidentally posted about this before I saw this thread. Same question I had.

I agree with the poster a few above. I shut off my filters, add water and dechlor, and I use my powerhead to move water around.

So as long as I add the prime first the new water will be treated as it comes in. I wasn't sure how long the Prime was "active" so to speak. Like if you add it before does it work on incoming water for the next five minutes?... does that make sense? Lol..

I emailed SeaChem a while back about this. According to them, Prime is active for up to 24 hours after you add it. So no worries about adding the Prime to the tank and then the tap water later.

Back
Top Bottom