Python and Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay I got a python to make PWC easier with my 55gl. The buckets were getting old. I also needed a new bottle of water treatment and through all the rave of Prime on the fish sites I bought a bottle of prime.

Reading on the site here about the waste of water using it as an actual vac... I figure since my sink is 5ft from my tank I can use the normal gravel vac to gravel vac as I can do it right into the sink and drain extra water that way.

I can use the python to refill.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.... The Prime.. It says one capfull (5ml) for 50gls of water. I have a 55gl and do not plan a 95% water change LOL It states that each cap thread is 1ml. I see 1ml per 10 gallons roughly I take it?

The part I worry about is I am use to using a 5gl bucket and KNOWING how much I am removing. I used a brand that was 5 drops per gallon and I took my gallons times 5 drops and added that to my bucket of water before adding it into the tank.

If I start using the sink I will have to guess more on how many gallons I took out and I dont really trust my guessing. How much room for error do I have as I don't want to overdose!

Should I just continue to use the 5gl bucket to gravel vac so I know how much I took out and dose the prime right into the tank before I refill with the python?

What would you suggest?

i do not bother to measure. i drain 50% of the water (75 gallon tank) fill it back up and add a cap full of prime. i overdose the prime because i have had people in my area (LFSs and other aquarium keepers) tell me they use 2x the "normal" dose of chloromine :? basicly i figure extra is better then not enough...

You are supposed to treat for the whole volume of the tank, according to the bottle of Prime, when using a python. I actually throw a whole capful in my 36 and 29. A little extra is not going to hurt.

I use baby medicine syringes to get an exact ml count. 1 ml per 10 gal of water. The amount of water that you will waste by using the Python to vac is minimal. I remember reading quite a while ago that it was about the equivelant of taking an additional shower once a month.

Edit: If you overdose, the Prime becomes inactive after 24 hours. It won't buildup in the tank.

Ugh. I have been to the LFS and hardware stores twice today. The python does not fit my kitchen sink! The adapter that comes with it does not work either.

Finally at the hardware store I found something that will work, but need a size smaller so I gotta go back. I might be able to use this thing yet tonight SHEESH!

Edit: Another trip to the hardware store I finally got a guy with a brain that figured it out for me.

Well I got it to work.

I do not care for the gravel vac side of it. I was not impressed at what it sucked up. It was cleaning, but not as good as my smaller hand vac I use. To much stuff was floating in the water. I could see in the tube gunk was going up, but not what I felt it should be.

I had a wash cloth over the faucet and that worked like a charm. I dont think I have the best water pressure to make the gravel vac part of it worth while, is the issue I think.

Now refilling........... wow that was nice. I stood there with my hand on my hip and watched. LOL I love it and it was worth it just for that!!!!

I will say that I agree that the python doesn't have as much suck as a regular syphon, I had noticed that, too. Fortunately, it still gets the job done as I don't have a lot of large debris. The payoff is on the fill like you said. No more buckets makes squeeks a happy camper. :D

Back
Top Bottom