python gravel cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Darkesong said:
When using a python for filling after a pwc do you add the chemicals to the tank before or after adding the water and do you dose only for the water being replaced or for the total gallons in the tank?

Either or! I dose to full tank size just so I always use the same amount. I think either is acceptable. And I usually make sure my filters are off for 15-20 minutes after the Prime's been added.

The LFS near me uses the Python in their store. I ordered one from PetSolutions. It was $37 freight free!

When using a python for filling after a pwc do you add the chemicals to the tank before or after adding the water and do you dose only for the water being replaced or for the total gallons in the tank?

I dose mine before I add the water and I use API stress coat and treat the whole tank. I have 55 gallon tanks and use 3 capfulls. Its easier and won't hurt the fish.

I try to dose half and half. I dose enough for the whole entire tank total/overall.

I dose half of it right before i switch to fill just to avoid the initial chlorine rush burning the fish. and the other half after it is about full to disperse it all better.
I have heard before to add it to the water before(for bucket changes) OR put it in after and dose for the whole tank.....I just hate to let my little fishies swim around in fresh chlorine for 30 mins till its full....

I have the aqueon and love! I dose the tank with enough to treat the whole tank right when I switch the flow to fill it up so none of the water treatment gets sucked out.

It appears the Python is the top pick for water changes...BUT, DO THEY LEAK at the joints?? My wife would kill me if her floors get wet!! My lfs uses one , but it seems their floor is always wet with CAUTION signs WET FLOOR! I want to get one, but it needs to work leak free!

gmanova said:
It appears the Python is the top pick for water changes...BUT, DO THEY LEAK at the joints?? My wife would kill me if her floors get wet!! My lfs uses one , but it seems their floor is always wet with CAUTION signs WET FLOOR! I want to get one, but it needs to work leak free!

It will only drip water when u take it out of the tank and push water back to sink. Never had a leak yet!!!

I have used a Python for years and just bought a new one. I had 50 feet of hose and someone dissected it on me. :( In any case, the new one came with 10 extra feet of hose for free..so 35 feet and the new faucet adapter works great in all of my newer sinks. I ordered mine from Big Als Python No Spill Clean And Fill Gravel Cleaner - 25 ft (Bonus 10 ft) : Gravel Cleaners and I also ordered the 30 inch gravel cleaner which makes cleaning deep tanks a breeze. I have never had a problem with any of the hoses or connections leaking :)

i just got the lee's gravel vac from drs fosters - got the 50ft one. used it i think twice now so I am not a pro at it. definitely better than the buckets, but I think I will only use it for the filling process. the empting process did not seem to work very well. maybe not enough water pressure? not sure.
filled my 20 gallon today and had a "learning experience". filled just fine, but when I went to turn the switch to off the valve came off into the tank... water is now continueing to pour into (full) tank, home alone... can you see where this is going?? lucky for me there is an outside door very close by so I just ran to the door with the water pouring out of the hose. then of course ran to the sink and turned off the water. so... a couple of lessons learned today. 1) make sure the connections are tight 2)always have an emergency bucket nearby!

so I did get water on my wood floors, but not because anything was leaking... just pouring out of the hose

I also replaced the plastic connector piece that goes into the faucet area - sorry not good on all my male / female hose terminology. the rest of the plastic pieces seem to be sturdy and just fine!

hope that helps!

i just got the lee's gravel vac from drs fosters - got the 50ft one. used it i think twice now so I am not a pro at it. definitely better than the buckets, but I think I will only use it for the filling process. the empting process did not seem to work very well. maybe not enough water pressure? not sure.
filled my 20 gallon today and had a "learning experience". filled just fine, but when I went to turn the switch to off the valve came off into the tank... water is now continueing to pour into (full) tank, home alone... can you see where this is going?? lucky for me there is an outside door very close by so I just ran to the door with the water pouring out of the hose. then of course ran to the sink and turned off the water. so... a couple of lessons learned today. 1) make sure the connections are tight 2)always have an emergency bucket nearby!

so I did get water on my wood floors, but not because anything was leaking... just pouring out of the hose

I also replaced the plastic connector piece that goes into the faucet area - sorry not good on all my male / female hose terminology. the rest of the plastic pieces seem to be sturdy and just fine!

hope that helps!

Don't feel bad. First the connection between the faucet adapter and the hose popped off and I had water all over my kitchen. A couple of weeks later the connection between the hose and the vacuum tube popped off and I had water all over my living room floor. The problem was a lot of water pressure and a 73 yo old woman had put it together. LOL. No more accidents since my daughter tightened everything.

i have the python. Only problem i have is that I have a pull down kitchen faucet and waterfall faucets in my bathroom. Havn't found anywhere to hook it up yet besides the outside faucet lol. Has a ton of suction though

I hook mine up to my shower head it was the only place that I wouldn't have to do plumbing to make it work. Just unscrew the shower head and plop it on. I did have to go to my plumber to get a piece that would connect the shower head to the python but it was only 5 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom