Python No Spill Clean and Fill Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always assumed that the 30 seconds the chemicals are in the water (in the bucket) before you pour it in the tank really didn't make a difference. As soon as you pour that treated bucket water into the tank everything mixes within seconds. So my assumption is just fill your tank from the sink and then put the chemicals in ASAP directly into the tank. Everything will mix, and all will be OK. The fish do get 30% of chlorinated water for maybe 45 seconds tops. I am open to other opinions, but it just kind of made sense to me.

Right. If you want to be sure you are filling the proper amount, add the required dose to a cup of tank water, and add THAT to the tank as you fill, so you don't overdose the dechlor. What I did to determine the amount I was draining off was to start my syphon, then I took the hose off the tap and put it in a 5-gal water jug, and when I filled the water jug I made a small mark on the tank glass in the back corner to indicate when I had drained 5 gallons from my tank. This is of course not mathematical or scientific, but I use that increment to drain 20 gallons from my 55-gal tank with each water change. That way I know how much dechlor to use.

Tank girl... great idea on making little marks on the glass where the incremental water changes were done. I think I just might have to do that. Thanks

great idea on making little marks on the glass where the incremental water changes were done

I didn't make marks, but I just estimate that 1/2 way down the tank is 50%=25 gallons and 1/4 of the way down the tank is 25%=12.5 gallons. Not a science...

Here's one for you. I just bought the Python and it works great, but the mouth of the suction tube is too wide for my densely planted tank. I can't really clean my gravel at all with it.

Any ideas about an attachment or converter to switch to a narrower intake tube?

I have used this successfully when I had my freshwater tank. My tank was about 30" away from the sink. If I remember correctly, you will need a treaded faucet to fit the python valve to it. Just be careful in adding water to the tank, as you will need to dechlorinate it first. Remember it is straight tap water. I used to use fill a bucket with the water, add the dechlorinator then add to the tank. Another thing to be aware of is the temperature of the water before you add it to the tank. I used to make sure the temperature in the bucket was within a few degrees of the tank temperature before adding. Bottom line is that the python is a great investment for your gravel vacuuming and extracting water.

Temperature definitely needs to be considered, and after doing it for so long I can tell by feel, comparing the tank temp to the tap temp. I have held a plastic suction-cup type thermometer or the floating kind into the stream of water and check the temp that way, also. I think most users agree that it is safe to add tap water directly to the tank, as we have discussed, with the addition of the dechlor as you fill. I have done it this way for a long time and never had any problem. The chlorine in tap water is generally at such a low level that when it is diluted in the tank it is not harmful per se, unless you left it untreated.

Any ideas about an attachment or converter to switch to a narrower intake tube?
What many people do who have planted tanks is to get some flexible hose, the same type that is on the Python, of a slightly larger diameter and after removing the rigid plastic tube, they attach the flexible hose to it. They use that flexible end to scoot around on top of the gravel and collect the waste without disturbing the gravel too much. You could also do this by just removing the rigid plastic part and using the end of the flexible hose as is.

I did it!! I actually got a DIY project to work!!! ha, ha
I tried the link mentioned earlier in this post. I went out and bout the stuff that ended up totaling me around $8.00. I didn't want to risk contamination so I opted to go with the clear flexible tubingm insted of a garden hose. I only needed 10 feet, since I have two different sinks near both tanks, so that was only like $3.00.
Anyway, it works perfect!!!!!

That's so cool...I wish I had known about how to make one before I spent all that money! Don't get me wrong, it's worth every penny, but it's so much MORE worth it when the pennies are heavier in your pocket (you spend less money on the same product...LOL). Just be careful and don't do what I did: I was adding water, and I went to the sink to adjust the temp and the end where all the water comes out decided to start dumping water on the floor. 8O 8O 8O So I had a BIG water puddle in my bedroom...I wanted to go swimming...ok, ok so it wasn't THAT much water...but it comes out fast!!! So just be careful...Make sure it's going to stay IN the tank before you leave for 2 seconds...wow...sounds like my toddler...can't leave em for a second!

I got one the other day, and it would fit my sink! ERRRRR! So i went to lowes, got some automotive clamps and some 3/4" ID tubing and rigged me up a universal adapter! lol. The only problem is filling it. If i turn the python off and the water is still running the presure will built up and spit the python from the faucet. But if some one adjusts te rate of water flow, its just fine!

aj

They can be tricky to use, thats for sure. Anyone who is new to these, I highly suggest the first few times you use it, do it with 2 people, one at the sink, one at the faucet. That should keep any watery disaters from occuring. Once you get the hang of it, you can do it by yourself.

Lurve my Python. One prob tho; I too have noticed the adaptor doesn't sit tightly on the faucet. One bump and it falls off. I'm thinking maybe I've stripped the threads on either the Python or the sink, but can't tell by looking. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to tighten properly? I tried the thread tape for pipes..made no diff.

I'm thinking maybe I've stripped the threads on either the Python or the sink, but can't tell by looking.
Do you have the white plastic sink adapter? If so, pitch it and get the brass fitting. You can get one either at a hardware store or Python makes one that fits it, sold at the LFS.

Yep. Thats the one. Both the Python AND the sink faucet are the white plastic type...should I replace both?

This is a PVC faucet? Or just the threaded part inside the actual spigot? If this is a utility sink or something that is not fancy I would actually superglue the python white threaded adapter to the sink portion, and skip the aerator completely, then your adapter is always in place, no threads to strip. I actually had to superglue my plastic parts (ahem, python parts) together to get them OUT of my spigot the final time, and if it was not the guest bathroom I would have left the adapter on there!

Back
Top Bottom