python no spill for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 6 gal 5 feet from a sink and a 29 gal close to 50 feet away from the same sink. I use the python to remove the water from the 6 then move to the 29. While I am cleaning the 29, my daughter takes the pre-stored gallon jugs of water (room temp, dechlorinated, etc.) and gently pours it into the filter. I use the python for the 29 refill.
I was too worried about the temp changes in the 6, but in the 29... I have more wiggle room for sudden temp differences. So go ahead and pull the water out using the python and just use your prefered water refill method. Then you would be able to have convience, and be as picky as you want to be! (are you a Virgo like my hubby?) :wink:

Some people just like to do things the hard way I guess.

The python is the greatest fishkeeping tool ever!!!!
I use it on all my tanks also.(5, 2-10's 55 and 180). All you need to do is use a thermometer to check the water going back to you tank and it doesnt vary at all during my refills. Then I add the dechlor right to the tank right before refilling it so it removes the chlorine as the water enters the trank. Never a problem and not one fish loss. It's a great tool

I agree with you Oscar. I've never had temp vary coming into the tank except for one time it was 2 degrees cooler but that's because we did the 150, 55, 29, 10, and 5 all at the same time. Now we do one tank at a time from start to finish and haven't had any variations.

I originally bought mine when I got my 100 gal. tank, but use it on all my tanks including the 10 gal. tanks I have. As long as you add the dechlor just before refilling or during the refilling you should have no problem. It is quite an expense if you only have a 10 gal. tank, but if you are sure you will be upgrading or getting another tank that is larger, I would definately invest in one!

I only use my python to refill snake cages & always hand carry water to refill my aquarium. I agree that it is a universal tool. The other nice thing about them is that if you suck up to much & get a clog you can always quickly reverse the water for a second & it will loosen right up & usually come out in one try.It can be used for minor floods or even filling buckets next to the aquarium to wait for dechlor or temperature changes.

I guess I just have too many animals plus a pond to make it a waste of $$.

Plus it has very strong suction or light suction if you turn the water down.

SO how many of you have the water on all the time your using this python??

I seem to be hearing alot of water wasting going on.

It would be interesting to time, but I bet it takes less than a couple minutes to do a 25% change on my 10 gallon. I have to be quick cleaning the gravel. I would compare it to people who leave the water on while brushing their teeth or shaving rather than filling a bowl with water to do this. I use a bowl for these tasks, so I feel alright about using a python for my tank. Using the python for 4 or 5 different large tanks...probably a little wasting going on.

Lets see. It takes us maybe 45 minutes to do water changes. Considering we have low flow pipes (stupid landlords), we aren't wasting much. If we had normal pipes, it would take us maybe 25 minutes. Compare that to taking two showers. I don't think that 25 minutes a week is too much water to make water changes 1000 times easier. But, like it's been said before, some people just like to do things the hard way.

Plus, since we got the python, the only water that has ever touched the floor was when our cat knocked over a pitcher of water.

Back
Top Bottom