Python question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so you know how we're always slow on the uptake with gadgets and technology here in the UK compared to across the Pond.
I've finally discovered a retailer here that has pythons for sale. Maybe it's just me being slow on the uptake, but anyway!

I have some questions. I've seen the pictures and get the general gist, but I'm unclear on a couple of things:

1. When you are emptying water from the tank (and gravel vac-ing at the same time), you turn the faucet/tap on? Where does the water from the tap go? Down the sink? If so, isn't this really wasteful?

2. When you fill the tank from the tap, how do you treat the water going in (dechlorinate etc.)? Also, how do you match the temperature (you can't feel the water if it's going straight down a hose right?)? And finally, how do you stop the flow if the hose is 25ft+ long and you're at one end and the tap is at the other?

Sorry if these are silly questions, you'll have to forgive an 'old timer' :p

1. i dunno this either, i gravel cav out a window, and then use the pythong to fill up

2. i put the dechlor in just before i start putting the water in. keeping the water temp is tricky, mine always flucuates. to stop the hoses, turn off the sink, then close the nozzle on the end of the python thats in the tank.and then unscrew it from the sink, take it outside, open up the closed end of the python, and move it around to let the water drain.

1. Yes, the water is going down the drain. I haven't noticed a change in our water bill since using the Python. Well, yes I have. It has gone up since I have done more water changes. :) The amount of water wasted is minimal. I think I read somewhere that said it's the equivalent of a shower.

2. I put the dechlor into the tank but shooting it from a syringe into the stream of water. I match the temp by adjusting the hot and cold temp. Turn the doodad thingy so it is in the "empty" position. Feel the tap water as it is coming out of the doodad. When it is the right temp, turn it so it is in the "fill" position. There is a stop switch that will stop the water from filling. Just turn the switch. You may want to have a hand towel over the doodad thingy that is attached to the faucet. That way you don't have any excess spray.

1) You can also start the suction with the faucet on, then after it gets going, turn the faucet off. Assuming you're on level ground, and the tank and sink are approximately the same height, the suction will continue on its own. May not be the fastest, but it will work.

2) I throw in declor at the intake as it's filling.
3) Stopping the flow: turn the faucet off. Estimate when you are about to be full, and run and turn it off just in time. I use a removable suction-grip thing to hold the tube in place, so water doesn't happen to go everywhere.

1. When you are emptying water from the tank (and gravel vac-ing at the same time), you turn the faucet/tap on? Where does the water from the tap go? Down the sink? If so, isn't this really wasteful?

It wastes water but adds convenience, theres always a give and take.

2. When you fill the tank from the tap, how do you treat the water going in (dechlorinate etc.)?

I just dump in the dechlor before I reverse the flow of the python to fill.

Also, how do you match the temperature (you can't feel the water if it's going straight down a hose right?)?

Basically if you have had a tank and done PWC's for even a moderate amount of time you should be able to get the water pretty darn close just by touch...you can always adjust the temperature of the water you're wasting to make it so when you switch from drain to fill, the fill water will be ready to go. Unfortunatley my water pressure is terrible so I have to turn both faucets on full blast, then tune the cold down a little before I switch to fill

And finally, how do you stop the flow if the hose is 25ft+ long and you're at one end and the tap is at the other?

Easy, not sure why it hasn't been mentioned yet but theres a shut off valve like 2 feet from the tank end of the python. Shut it off, turn off your water, switch the gadget from fill to drain and turn the water back on...drains the hose. Unhook everything and go.

If the outlet where the water is draining is lower than your tank, you can turn off the water and it will still drain using gravity to push the water out. I usually start the water flow going then turn the faucet off. It just doesn't drain as fast, but it still works and doesn't use up as much water.
When I fill I attach it to my bathroom faucet, and leave it in the drain setting and use one of those floating aquarium thermometers to get the temp close. Then I close the outflow thing and have the water go into the aquarium. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom