Python Substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

After hearing some pretty glowing reviews on the Python No-Spill system for water changes I've started hunting around for one.

The problem is that I have found precisely zero places that will ship one to Australia :confused:

The best I have found so far is this eBay item (PPGSD1 PENN PLAX GRAVEL VAC Super "python style" 25' | eBay) and I wondered if anyone knew whether or not this would be an acceptable substitute?

Or even better how I can get hold of an actual Python No-Spill in Australia? :D

Cheers in advance (y)

I don't know if you can get a python brand in Australia, but aqueon makes a water changer that's basically the same. Do you have aqueon over in Australia? They sell them on amazon for cheap.

Edit: I apologize, I just realized that there is no amazon.com Australia . Sorry.

I don't know if you can get a python brand in Australia, but aqueon makes a water changer that's basically the same. Do you have aqueon over in Australia? They sell them on amazon for cheap.

Edit: I apologize, I just realized that there is no amazon.com Australia . Sorry.

Thanks! Least I am able to find an Aqueon Water Changer on eBay that I can pickup.

Will cost me $90 for a 25' one though :ermm:

Whoa! I just bought a 50' one on Amazon.com for $49.99. I've heard of people making their own. Oops! I just saw above posts. No amazon? That's a bummer. Mumma of 2 made her own I think.

Whoa! I just bought a 50' one on Amazon.com for $49.99. I've heard of people making their own. Oops! I just saw above posts. No amazon? That's a bummer. Mumma of 2 made her own I think.

Yeah I got hold of the instructions for the DIY Python...while I may give it a go they may as well have been in French based upon my DIY skills.

Likely outcome...

le-gril-simpsons-homer-grill-bbq-le-gril-demotivational-poster-1236126796.png

That's pretty much exactly like mine. Mine cost $2 in parts but I don't have a shut of valve. :)

Quick question, do you have any issues with your DIY Python? I made mine over the weekend and it seems awfully tempermental.

Sometimes no matter how much I pump no water comes out and other times it just comes through straight away :confused:

Also it seems like it fills up with air which stops it sucking up the water :confused:

If you can find a place that carries water beds (if those even made their way to australia), they make the exact same thing. It just doesn't have the end for a gravel vac... but those are pretty much the same for any brand and can be picked up at any lfs.

Cynic said:
Quick question, do you have any issues with your DIY Python? I made mine over the weekend and it seems awfully tempermental.

Sometimes no matter how much I pump no water comes out and other times it just comes through straight away :confused:

Also it seems like it fills up with air which stops it sucking up the water :confused:

Never had an issue. I have to say I suck on the end of mine to get the syphon started. Really gross if you get a mouthful of tank water. Eew!
I'll go get some pictures of mine. It's not pretty but it works. :)

Edit: ok the app hates me so I'll try later.

Attachments

• image-1541996937.jpg
    image-1541996937.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Mumma.of.two said:
Never had an issue. I have to say I suck on the end of mine to get the syphon started. Really gross if you get a mouthful of tank water. Eew!

Always been scared id catch a disease that way.

Thanks, look forward to seeing what I've done wrong (y)

image-2373673688.jpg

image-374040191.jpg

Here it is. Really simple. :)

image-489679255.jpg

This bits from an old shower hose adapter thingy. It allows me to fill from my kitchen mixer tap. I can't put too much pressure through it but it does the job.

Last edited:
This bits from an old shower hose adapter thingy. It allows me to fill from my kitchen mixer tap. I can't put too much pressure through it but it does the job.

Thanks for the pics. Looks very similar to mine, I may have to go back to the sucking method of starting the syphon, the length of the hose may be making the pump start difficult.

Cheers again :thanks:

Mumma.of.two said:
Me too! But when you change multiple dirty nappies a day fish water doesn't seem that gross for some reason....

What's a Nappie? Must be a diaper? So glad im thru with that!!!!

Back
Top Bottom