QT for Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well right now nothing but if we where to get some after we have already established a community should we have a QT as a good measure?

Well right now nothing but if we where to get some after we have already established a community should we have a QT as a good measure?

Short answer, if you can it's always a good idea.

Long answer, it's a personal call. Think of it like insurance, weigh up the potential cost of replacing your stock (Financial and other) with the cost of quaranting your new fish.

Personally I would say yes mainly to quarantine new fish from my lfs. And to treat wounded fish. I have an aggressive tank. It's your call but if your taking a poll here's my ballot--->yes and semper fi do or die brotha.

I think it is a great idea and for at least 4 weeks. I only waited two with my new fish and lost the whole lot when I added them to my main tank. No idea what did it and now I worry that I moved them two quick. I am a newbie and hate to wait for new stock but I have learned my lesson the hard way. So far I have only lost one of my main tank inhabitants but I feel very guilty for shortening the QT. Better safe than sorry.

It is a good idea to QT new fish before adding them to an established community tank. Many on here will say to QT 4-6 weeks because some diseases take that long to show.

Is there something a fish could be carrying that could spread to other fish that wouldn't manifest symptoms within a week or two inside the QT?

Also, would I need to slowly acclimate fish from my QT to my main tank? Ph and hardness are the same and the temperatures have a 2 degree difference.

Was wondering if it matters or not to QT new fish for Freshwater tanks or not? And if so for how long?

Fresh, salt, or brackish this is a must in my opinion as the type of fish I keep are hard to come by and to introduce new fish without quarantining them is like playing Russian roulette, at some point someone is going to die. I QT all new fish for a minimum of 4-6 weeks(some even longer if a illness is seen) along with feeding medicated anti-parasite foods along with medicating the water with Praziquental.

Fresh, salt, or brackish this is a must in my opinion as the type of fish I keep are hard to come by and to introduce new fish without quarantining them is like playing Russian roulette, at some point someone is going to die. I QT all new fish for a minimum of 4-6 weeks(some even longer if a illness is seen) along with feeding medicated anti-parasite foods along with medicating the water with Praziquental.

Are there any downsides/risks to this medication if the fish turn out to be healthy?

No absolutely no downside or risk involved with either metrozoidale or praziquantel, I use this method to treat all incoming fish.

I might start doing this!

OP I Am new to the hobby. I bought some neons who had ich and wish I knew beforehand to have a QT!!! I am now QT all new fish. It is ridiculous to even have to worry, you would think having fish would be simple. I don't get it. My inlaws get a huge tank, throw in hose water, few goldfish, never water change and forget to feed. Nothing bad happens for 3 years. Me, I cycled my tank, carefully added fish. And have the worse luck and get diseased fish first go around. Bleh

Back
Top Bottom