QT/Hospital Tank setup????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So now that I have my 75g and it's pretty much stocked I want to set up a another small tank. I just don't know what I need.

I bought all meds to treat ich and Malawi bloat hopefully I'll never need them but I wanted everything on hand just incase. So now I need a small tank, a heater and I'm guessing a filter? Do I need substrate? Trying to work with a budget. What are the basics I need. The tank will be stored underneath my 75 in the cabinet.

Thanks

A QT/Hospital tank can be bare. It sounds like you have the right idea, a basic filter, heater, and that's it. I'd go with the largest tank you can comfortably fit under there, since a QT/hospital is not likely to be cycled, a larger water volume will help keep water quality up and keep you from having to do constant water changes to keep the fish safe from toxin spikes.

jetajockey said:
A QT/Hospital tank can be bare. It sounds like you have the right idea, a basic filter, heater, and that's it. I'd go with the largest tank you can comfortably fit under there, since a QT/hospital is not likely to be cycled, a larger water volume will help keep water quality up and keep you from having to do constant water changes to keep the fish safe from toxin spikes.

Thanks jeta! Yeah from my line of work it's all about pre planning and being ready for the worst. I can fit a 20 no problem. Anything bigger will be an issue. I'll get a 20g, heater and a good filter. Only thing I can't find is what everyone is calling Metro? I have clout and some treatments for ich from API also have epsom salt and aquarium salt. Anything else I should look to get?

I would get kosher salt, the parasite clear as mentioned, maracyn, maracyn II, methylene blue.

Angelsplus actually has several different flake foods with antibiotics/antiparasite meds incorporated in them, so that's something else I keep on hand, just keep the bulk refrigerated when not in use.

Treating the fish through food seems to be extremely effective compared to dosing the entire tank.

jetajockey said:
I would get kosher salt, the parasite clear as mentioned, maracyn, maracyn II, methylene blue.

Angelsplus actually has several different flake foods with antibiotics/antiparasite meds incorporated in them, so that's something else I keep on hand, just keep the bulk refrigerated when not in use.

Treating the fish through food seems to be extremely effective compared to dosing the entire tank.

Thanks a ton man... Will be ordering all that and get my first aid kit ready if needed. I think too many people get fish and make sure they have food and everything else but forget the "what if" factor. What if something goes wrong and it's 10pm, nothing is open, you can't wait till morning. Treatment and action need to take place then. We go to the ER if needed so we must be the fishes ER.

jetajockey said:

Will these stock of meds be also good for South American cichlids or any freshwater fishes for that matter?

And really, as much as over-, incorrectly, or excessively medicating is a problem, dosing all your new fish with Prazipro for internal and external parasite is a pretty solid idea.

aqua_chem said:
And really, as much as over-, incorrectly, or excessively medicating is a problem, dosing all your new fish with Prazipro for internal and external parasite is a pretty solid idea.

So your saying I could dose my Africans with Prazipro now? It's a good idea and won't harm them? It helps prevent I'm assuming?

Convict2161 said:
So your saying I could dose my Africans with Prazipro now? It's a good idea and won't harm them? It helps prevent I'm assuming?

I experienced a parasite ( internal ) infection some time ago that killed my angels (3), now I used the jungle medicated food for parasites once every 2 weeks, I just give a pinch or two to my fish as a regular food once day every two weeks. Don't know if it is correct, but I have not experienced any other parasite issue since then..... Just an idea.

I don't know if this food is good for shrimp or will kill them,

Back
Top Bottom