QT Start Up Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill2183

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about setting up a small ( 2.5 or 5 gallon) QT tank. Can someone provide me with advice regarding set up and use?

I am new to this hobby and feel that this is the next logical step. I have recently lost two fish to a mysterious ailment or coincidental old age. The remaining fish are doing well. I have been keeping my current tank for about 8 months.

Any advise on the care and use of a QT tank would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bill,
I have two QT tanks up right now--2.5 and a 5 gal. I would recommend a 5 gal because it is easier to find a filter for and a small 25-watt heater. I do not have a light for that tank and the cover is a wire reptile cover, but I understand some people just use plastic wrap. I have a HOB filter and the tank is kept in the closet--away from chemicals when not in use. When it is needed, the tank gets rinsed out and I fill it up with water from whatever tank has the ailing fish. I learned the hard way not to add any new decorations the fish has never seen, so I usually pull something from the tank. If you are going to use it as a QT tank for new fish friends, get a small decoration for it and that is where that decoration should live. Also, I cover the sides and back with newspaper, so the fish is enclosed (plus the poor thing is usually in the middle of the kitchen--high traffic area).
HTH

I wrote an article about FW QT tanks Bill; you can find it here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=35

I suggest at least a 5g tank; the smaller the tank the more difficult it is to keep up with water parameters, especially if a fish is going to be living in it for a few weeks. Also, a 2 1/2g is too small for most fish sizewise, even in the short term.

:D Allivymar, great article - thank you for writing it.

I have a quick question for you. We have been using 2 Penguin 170 HOB filters for our (cycled) 50g tank. Lastnight I set up our 10g tank as a QT for a Black Skirt tetra who has ICH or finrot (looks like both actually). We put one of the Penguins onto the 10g (along with an old heater and a thin layer of gravel from the main tank)... is it necessary to have an airstone as well? Your article says no, but I just want to be sure. Is the filter enough with partial water changes? Also, should I remove the gravel before quaranteening my sick lil guy?

I use a 10 gal for a QT tank.
Penguin Mini running on the back of it.
I check the water parameters every now and then and throw in a few blood worms every week or two to keep the tank cycled.
I keep the temp up to whatever my main tank is at.
A few pieces of terrain (plasitc bridges and castles) and a couple of fake plants in it as well.

Back
Top Bottom