QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
is there a certain size limitation for a qt tank? I have been looking at just a 3 gallon, but wasn't sure if this was to small.. at most there will be 3 fish at a time in there.. also does it need regular essentials? ie: substrate, plants decor or can it be plain glass bottom? if I did get substrate and a plant or two would this be ok even if not needed?

GoneFishing said:
is there a certain size limitation for a qt tank? I have been looking at just a 3 gallon, but wasn't sure if this was to small.. at most there will be 3 fish at a time in there.. also does it need regular essentials? ie: substrate, plants decor or can it be plain glass bottom? if I did get substrate and a plant or two would this be ok even if not needed?

Here's what I do:

Consider your largest fish and size your QT to it. I prefer not to add any decco in my QT to avoid any issues that might conflict with or compromise the reason for QT in the first place.

I guess the QT size would depend on the fish you plan to keep in there. I would choose a 10 gallon IMO. Most fish can easily be QT'd in there. I would make the tank as peaceful as you can for the fish. usually when you quarantine a fish they are new and stressed or sick and stressed so having a habitat that would sooth them would be better for their health. So I would say make it like a real tank. I wouldn't put real plants in there unless you would plan on spending the money to take care of the tank like a normal none QT tank. If you did want to use real plants you could always use it for live food/ quarantine and if you wanted you could keep some ghost shrimp in there. That's what I did. They aren't too expensive so if you lose them to an infection it's not a big deal. But even if they do get infected they will get treated when you treat the fish that infected them.

So make a tank that feels like home.. got it.. thats what I was gonna do, or at least have a substrate down. will probably put some silk plants in there just so it looks charming. I'm assuming you have to cycle a qt as well.. would hate to have to add a post to the "things I should have done" post. also all other requirements are the same correct.. ie testing parameters

I bet sand would be the best substrate. Softer for fish and they won't rip up their fins. Also, a few river rocks that are really smooth, and a few small silk plants.

GoneFishing said:
So make a tank that feels like home.. got it.. thats what I was gonna do, or at least have a substrate down. will probably put some silk plants in there just so it looks charming. I'm assuming you have to cycle a qt as well.. would hate to have to add a post to the "things I should have done" post. also all other requirements are the same correct.. ie testing parameters

Yup. Just at up a normal tank... Without the fish!

Keep in mind it will only stay cycled if it has an ammo source. You don't really have to have it running all the time, just when you need it. If you have a cycled DT, you shouldn't need to cycle your QT. Just take some filter media from your DT and transfer it over :)

I use the QT also as my hospital tank, so I find no substrate is best. That way it is easier to clean if it has been medicated, and easier to take down when not needed.

question about the ammo.. if there was some ghost shrimp in the tank would that be a good source of the ammo needed to sustain a cycled tank?

You'd have to have A LOT of ghost shrimp to do that... I'd just feed the tank daily when you feed your fish, or add a hardy algae eater to help keep you cycled. I would suggest ghost shrimp though... As they can sometimes help clean sick fish.

sweet! thanks.. now yet another question.. someone mentioned a hospital tank, if I had sand and plants in the tank and I did use it as a hospital how hard would it be to clean it well enough that the medication/illness is gone?

No live plants, and no cories, and it's easy to clean. Just do 2 back to back 50% water changes when your fish are back in the main tank to get any medicines out. Then do a 50% gravel vac once a day for two days and you'll be good to go. As for Good fish... Maybe 2 African dwarf frogs? For algae eaters... Ottos or khuli loaches would work... But I'm not sure how hardy they are.

question about the ammo.. if there was some ghost shrimp in the tank would that be a good source of the ammo needed to sustain a cycled tank?

It's possible but shrimp really don't produce much waste. I have kept a tank alive with snails though. They produce more waste than shrimp. A couple mystery snails would do it. You could transfer them out when you need to QT something and then back in to keep it alive.

I move one of these around a lot: AllPet.com - Pet Supplies. It's just powered by an air pump, if you already have one, if not you can buy it in a kit with one AllPet.com - Pet Supplies. This can be handy because it fits easily in any size tank, in addition to it's primary filter. I use it for extra filtration in one of my main tanks, then when I need to set up a QT or a hospital or help cycle a new tank I can easily transfer it over. They sell them at petco too.

Homedog98 said:
No live plants, and no cories, and it's easy to clean. Just do 2 back to back 50% water changes when your fish are back in the main tank to get any medicines out. Then do a 50% gravel vac once a day for two days and you'll be good to go. As for Good fish... Maybe 2 African dwarf frogs? For algae eaters... Ottos or khuli loaches would work... But I'm not sure how hardy they are.

And to add to that get some carbon for the filter to filter out what's left of the medicine.

A quick question I just thought of. I currently have the 29g tank... wanna get 10g quarantine.. I wanna upgrade my filter and heater in the 29.. I could just use my old filter and heater in the 10 right?

TraceyB4602 said:
And to add to that get some carbon for the filter to filter out what's left of the medicine.

Oh yea, have had planted for so long I forgot about the carbon filters lol

GoneFishing said:
A quick question I just thought of. I currently have the 29g tank... wanna get 10g quarantine.. I wanna upgrade my filter and heater in the 29.. I could just use my old filter and heater in the 10 right?

You could. Just remember to replace the new filter on the 29 slowly, and leave in the old filter for about a month.

Sweet! Yea ill do it slowly as I just averted a disaster in my tank by switching media and tossing the old stuff.. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom