QT tank filter didn't stay cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had to set up a QT tank quickly for a surprise baby fish found in main tank. I had a cycled 10 gallon tank with a 15 gal. internal filter that I broke down. I put the filter in my 29 gallon tank that I cycled so the bacteria would stay alive and ready for use when I needed it. I set the 10 gal back up with the internal filter and transfered the little fish fry into it. I already had duckweed in the 10 growing so I left it for the little guy to hide in if he wanted. When I checked the water it was reading ammonia .25 (same as out of tap), Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. I would have thought some Nitrate would show up since the filter had been cycled and kept running in another tank. Today the ammonia had climbed to 1. No nitrite but nitrate 5. I did a massive water change and got the ammonia down. There was a lot of duckweed on the bottom of the tank so I cleaned that out as best as I could. I was afraid of vacuuming the little fish up because he kept swimming to the vacuum so I didn't get it all out. He isn't much bigger than the duckweed. Does it just take some time for the water perimeters to get to cycled or did the filter not stay cycled? I took the filter pad out of my 29 gal. and squeezed the water into the internal filter. I have the Nitrate up to 10 but the ammonia is back to .50. Another water change done. I am afraid of stressing the little fish out with all the water changes but I know high ammonia levels are bad for him. I don't have any substrate in the tank right now but I am going to add the old gravel back in and a few home made caves to he can hide. He has fake plants he has been hanging around in. I am just worried about the ammonia. Could it be from all the dead duckweed? I have ordered prime but all I have right now is Tetra SafeStart to treat the water. Anything else I need to do?

safestart doesn't look like it is a water dechlorinator. its used when start up tanks. I looked it up online. you need a water conditioner to remove harmful stuff metals, chlorine. your water changes may be killing the beneficial bacteria. I think you might need to get a water conditioner asap. even if it is a small bottle till your prime comes in.

How long was the filter running on the 29 before you pulled it? I wouldn't think a little fry in a 10 gal would cause levels to rise that fast, so it has to be something else. Are you feeding heavily? The dead plants could be contributing too, I'd remove them.

I am using tetra aquasafe to treat the water. I forgot to mention that. I used the aquastart too because it was supposed to help jump start the tank. My tap water does test between .25 and .50 right out of the faucet. No idea why. It usually drops to 0 ammonia in a few hours of being put in the tank. I thought the duckweed would help "clean" the water. However, a lot of it did sink and I assume died. I removed a lot of it today when doing the water changes. I also put in some substrate and a few hiding places for the little guy. He is getting more confident by the day. He chases my hand when I put it in to work on the tank. He also comes to the front of the tank when I go near it. Before he zoomed off and hid. Guess that is why he survived. To quick for the other fish to catch. I keep looking for more in the big tank but still no luck.

I have had the internal filter in my 29 gallon tank for around 7 days. As soon as I moved the fish from the ten to the 29 tank, I took out the filter and put it in beside the larger one. I had a lot of extra floss in the HOB filter so I took a piece of that and put it in the internal filter media bag. Hope that helps.

He is so tiny. I worry that the least little ammonia will kill him. I got the level down to zero. No nitrites but nitrates climbed to 10. So maybe the bacteria just needed time.

I am using tetra aquasafe to treat the water. I forgot to mention that. I used the aquastart too because it was supposed to help jump start the tank. My tap water does test between .25 and .50 right out of the faucet. No idea why. It usually drops to 0 ammonia in a few hours of being put in the tank. I thought the duckweed would help "clean" the water. However, a lot of it did sink and I assume died. I removed a lot of it today when doing the water changes. I also put in some substrate and a few hiding places for the little guy. He is getting more confident by the day. He chases my hand when I put it in to work on the tank. He also comes to the front of the tank when I go near it. Before he zoomed off and hid. Guess that is why he survived. To quick for the other fish to catch. I keep looking for more in the big tank but still no luck.

I have had the internal filter in my 29 gallon tank for around 7 days. As soon as I moved the fish from the ten to the 29 tank, I took out the filter and put it in beside the larger one. I had a lot of extra floss in the HOB filter so I took a piece of that and put it in the internal filter media bag. Hope that helps.

He is so tiny. I worry that the least little ammonia will kill him. I got the level down to zero. No nitrites but nitrates climbed to 10. So maybe the bacteria just needed time.

I bought a square net - it's held by ridgid brackets and you can hang that over your tank - it clips onto the inside of your tank and it's for fry and it will keep him in the same tank as your other fish but he'll be protected and still have space to swim around just until you sort out your small tank. I bought mine from the lfs. Just a thought... Although sounds like your water parameters are ok now. Ahh I love fry they are well cute. Hope it all works out ok for him :)

It looks like everything is sorting out. My ammonia level was .25 today. No nitrite but nitrate has risen to 20. He is eating the algae off of the filter. Or that is what it looks like. He keeps going up and down the filter sides like the bigger fish do to the tank walls. He seems to have grown maybe a little. At that size hard to tell. He isn't so "clear any more". More translucent. I can't wait to see what color he will be. Now I don't have to buy another molly. Just hope it is female.

Back
Top Bottom