QT tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was going to turn my 10 gallon into a QT tank but I really hate the idea of having a blah tank with no decorations sitting around. Can I use a rubber tub to QT. Something like a 20 gallon plastic tote? I would add my heater and filter I have on hold in my 29 gal. I could mount a light above it if that would be necessary. Do fish need a lot of light? does it need to be clear or will regular plastic tub work? I know that substrate isn't necessary and hiding spots need to be able to be disinfected just in case.

Light is not really necessary.
The biggest issue I foresee is that if you are medicating a sick fish then you really have no way to keep an eye on it and see how it is responding to treatment. Try looking down into your tank from above... Hard to really see what is going on, no?

You want to be able to observe any new fish as well as any sick fish that are being treated. Without a glass or acrylic tank I don't know how you would accomplish this.

They have cheap tanks, I suggest Acrylic for 20 bucks walmart. You may need to change the filter and the heater. I got mine on sale, 5 gal Hex from marineland. I baffled the output, and I have Cherries QT in there now. I know that the Hawkeye hex is on sale from time to time and comes highly recommended for Bettas. So why not QT for weak fish?

This one has a bulb strong enough to grow low light plants supposedly
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-gal-Tank-Aquarium-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/14660258

I keep a 20L empty on hand for a QT tank. I keep a filter pad from the wisper filter that is used in the tank in my big tanks canister filter so it's seeded with BB for use when I need the QT tank. You don't need a light just a filter and heater and you need to be able to see inside to monitor the fish. Once your done with it just empty the tank and sanitize it and the equipment and store until it's needed the next time. Also once I remove the seeded QT filter pad from the big canister I just pop in a new one so it's ready for when I need the QT tank again.

^^^i do the same thing, just with a sponge filter, also works good for when you need to seperate fry. but in the case of qt for a disease i will just toss the filter, they are cheap.

Thanks everyone. I will just keep my 10 gallon for quarantine. I may be getting a larger tank from a family member and It will see lots of use. I just don't like a bare tank. I have plastic plants. They should be okay in a QT tank right? I can disinfection them in between uses. Would gravel be okay?

I have a 29 gal. with plant light. I have 2.5 watts per gallon set up right now. I don't really want to bother with CO2 so I am trying to stick with low to moderate light plants.

Fake plants are fine.

I would skip the gravel. Not because it can't be thoroughly cleaned after use but because it will trap waste and food. A QT should be kept as clean as possible at all times and having any kind of substrate will compromise cleanliness.

Back
Top Bottom