QT tank questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, we need to get a QT tank, what size tank do yall recommend? would you recommend using a 29 long as a QT tank? We are talking about getting a 55G plus sized tank, and will have a 29 tank empty...can we use this as a QT tank, or would a 10g work better? I am already planning on getting a canister style filter for the big tank, likely a rena xp2 or 3...

I appreciate the help,

Bear

You don't even need a real tank for quarantine. You could buy a 20 or 30 gallon Rubbermaid (or discount brand) container, throw a filter on the back and a heater...and you have a quarantine tank for half the price.

Bear, I agree w/ tj, but if you are planning to upgrade your tank anyway, then a 29 would make an excellent QT. If you want to use the 29 for a permanent tank for more fish, as Anne suggests, than either a Rubbermaid w/ a heater and filtration will suffice, or else a 10 or 20 gallon would be great also, providing that you won't be quarantining any large fish (which you probably shouldn't buy anyway even for a 55 gallon).

If you have the funds for a 55 gallon, then go for it! You will have many more stocking options that way, and I guarantee you will not be disappointed. An XP3 is a great choice for a 55 gallon IMO. Just please fishless cycle this time, and don't take this personally... I'm suggesting it b/c it will be much easier on YOU and the fish!!!!

I don't know about you guys...but IMO a 29g tank is a pretty decent size. As you can see, I have a 29g(my dad's that I help with) and my own 20g, and I'm getting a 10g to use as qt. With a 55 gallon tank I don't see the need to have such a large qt tank. From what I understand, qt tanks aren't even set up and running most of the time. You just leave it empty and a filter for it running on one of your tanks to have it ready at any time.

Agreed tj, you know if it was me I would stock it!!!! lol. BUT.... there's no doubt a 20 long is better than a 10 for QT (I have a 10 for QT tho...) if Bear has the funds. If not, a 10 can surely work, or a Rubbermaid w/ heater and filtration. And again, I agree with you tj, esp if you set up a 55, Bear. It's best to either run a filter on the established tank and use it as necessary for a QT, or at least to have an old filter pad ready to transfer over, should you need to QT new fish. I hope this is helpful to you Bear, Mike has the totally right idea. Remember that you will need a spare heater for new arrivals as well.

I THINK severum(who really knows her(i think :S) stuff has been following my recent threads. I just set up a new 20g tank. I purchased an aquaclear 50 filter and ran it for 3 weeks on my well established 29g tank, and I had no cycle at all when I setup the 20g. AN hour after I filled the 20g I had 0 trites, 0 nh4, and 10 nitrates! I recently ordered a sponge filter to setup on a 10g qt tank. Severum, while you are here and we are talking about qt's, should you use substrate in a qt tank or not? I was thinking of pfs in case the gbr's i plan on getting decide to spawn, but if its best to leave it substrate-less then I will do so.

I have a 10g tank set aside for quarantine and hospital use. That size (or a 20g) is almost perfect because most medications have their dosages measured in 10g increments. This tank uses a sponge filter for filtration because I can take mature sponges from one of my other tanks and jump-start the nitrogen cycle. It is best not to use a filter that has carbon because that can remove some of the medications you might need to use. You don't want to use any substrate because it makes it easier to clean and break down between uses. I have some plastic decorations in the tank to give the fish some cover.

I have our QT tank set up all the time and always keep something in it to keep it cycled. Right now it is African Cichlid fry. We keep something in it so we don't have a spare tank sitting dry. That would haunt me. :)

Base your QT size on the size of fish you are going to keep. If you are going to keep large fish, a 20 gal would be a good size. But if you are keeping smaller fish, like community fish, a 10 gal is fine. I'd stock the 29 and use a smaller tank or a rubbermaid container as the QT.

gheit said to use a bare bottom tank, will this bother any fry at all that I may be lucky enough to get later on? Should I just throw plastic suff in there, or would it be alright to trim some hornwort and/or java moss and throw it in whenever its in use?

I use substrate in our QT. You don't have to, but you can without a problem. If treating with meds you'll just need to clean it after each use.

I do like FF does, I keep a cycled 10 gal with fry in it to keep it cycled. Also I use PFS in the tank as well.

thank you all for the replies, and the upgraded tank will likely be in the budget in the next few months, leaning toward a 75 gallon. I will likely invest in a small 10 or 20 gallon setup as the QT tank, to keep costs down and be able to run the 29G with fish still...

When the new tank is setup, it will be cycled long before fish are even introduced to it, and we will have that ability. my ultimate plan, as we are hoping to be moving is to have the new tank setup at the new place, and transfer the fish over after the cycle. I appreciate the help, and advice from all

Back
Top Bottom